At the end of 1946, Renault abandoned the production of heavy trucks in view of its financial troubles, and the company lost the position of France's market leader which it had before World War II. However, the rapid development and production concentration on that sector made Renault to seek ways to enter into the market. In 1950, the Renault's technical chief, Fernand Picard, elaborated a plan to launch a limited range of trucks and buses with a single 105 CV engine, taking advantage of the economies of scale, which proved unsuccessful. In 1953, the strategy was changed and Renault decided to acquire rival manufacturers, starting with Somua and Latil. The company Saviem was formed in October 1955 by the merger of Renault's trucks and buses manufacturing operations with Somua and Latil and both Schneider (owner of Somua) and the Blum family (owner of Latil) had stakes in the new company. Initially, the Saviem name was added besides the existing badges of the three forming companies but, from 1957 onwards, Saviem-LRS appeared as marque's name on the company's products (the acronym representing the former marques Latil, Renault and Somua), which was simplified to Saviem in 1960. In 1959, Saviem became a whole-owned subsidiary of Renault. The early range of the company consisted of small commercial vehicles derived of Renault's existing models (Goelette and Galion), new medium and heavy trucks with Alfa Romeo engines and Chausson support for the coach/bus production. With an aggressive market approach focussed in volume rather than quality, Saviem became the leader by sales in France.
TP 4x4 Tancarville The little truck was called the 'Mondragon', 5-tons, while the most known version was called the 'Tancarville' rated at 7 tons .Later under Saviem, the type was called the TP10 .Some 4x4s were also built with Sinpar.
4X4 cabine tolee R4153 R4152/R7521
In 1959, Saviem became a whole-owned subsidiary of Renault. The early range of the company consisted of small commercial vehicles derived of Renault's existing models (Goelette and Galion),
From 1963 to 1977, Saviem cooperated with MAN of Germany (in 1967 the cooperation was expanded). As part of the agreement Saviem supplied cabs and in return MAN supplied axles and engines.
Renault also introduced the Super Galion, in partnership with Avia
1975 Saviem, together with DAF , Volvo M and Magirus-Deutz (soon after to become a part of Iveco ) became co-founder of the Club of Four cooperation to produce medium-sized trucks.
The Renault-Saviem SG/TP-Series was chronologically placed between the 1947-1965 Goelette and the 1980-1997 Master.
The TP3 was the AWD version of this van range.
Saviem was incorporated by Renault as a Truck devision.
Later, in April 1980 Berliet and Saviem merged with Renault. The new commercial car and truck devision was called 'Renault Vehicules Industriels' (RVI).
Between 1980-1982 the brand name for these trucks became RVI.
After 1968 the Renault-saviem SG2 and SG4 was built under license by the Czechoslovakian company Avia. Later they were recalled Avia A15 and A30.
Renault-Saviem SG/TP-Series production: 1965-1982