The Marmon Company began operations in Richmond, Indiana, in 1851 as a manufacturer of millstones. The company was founded by Daniel Marmon and Addison Nordyke and was called the Nordyke and Marmon Company. The company moved to Indianapolis in the 1870s where it evolved into one of the world's leading producers of milling machinery. Marmon's sons, Walter and Arthur, became involved in the company around the turn of the century. Both engineering graduates, Walter assumed a role in the management facets while Arthur was concerned with the engineering aspects. In 1902 Arthur designed and produced the company's first motor car which featured the first use of a pressure lubricated crankshaft and rod bearings. In 1911 the company produced the first Indianapolis 500 winner in Ray Harroun's Wasp. Arthur Marmon and his staff were leaders in automotive design pioneering. In the late 1910s the Model 34 was noted for its use of aluminum, making it much lighter than its competitors. Marmon also experimented in designing 12 and 16 cylinder engines. In 1926 the name of the company was changed to the Marmon Motor Car Company. The company met with hard times during the Depression of the 1930s, and by the time it went into receivership in May, 1933, it was only producing an expensive, but well received, 16 cylinder car.
Walter Marmon became the company's secretary when his father died in 1909. He later became president and was named chairman of the board in 1924. In 1931 he formed a partnership with Arthur D. Herrington in the manufacturing of trucks under the name of the Marmon-Herrington Company, the truck production division of the Marmon Motor Car Company . The Marmon-Herrington Company remained in business after the motor car company went into receivership, and it later acquired and moved to the defunct Duesenberg Company plant on West Washington and Harding streets in Indianapolis. The company continued producing heavy duty, all wheel drive trucks until it ceased operations in 1964.
| Marmon Motor Car Company was an American automobile manufacturer founded by Howard Marmon and owned by Nordyke Marmon & Company of Indianapolis, Indiana, US. It was established in 1902 and was merged and renamed in 1933. They produced cars under the Marmon brand. It was succeeded by Marmon-Herrington and later the Marmon Motor Company of Denton, Texas. The name currently survives through the Marmon Group of Chicago, Illinois.
A Brief History of The Nordyke & Marmon Company
Marmon: Daniel (1844-1909), Franklin (1899-1924), Howard (1876-1943, Walter (1872-1940), Arthur William Sydney Herrington (1891-1970) Designed the Jeep and other light trucks for military use, then trolleys & buses.
Nordyke & Marmon Company Marmon Motor Car Company The sons of Daniel W. and Elizbeth (Carpenter) Marmon - Walter Carpenter Marmon and Howard Carpenter Marmon are identified with the business to which Marmon was one of the greatest names attached not only in Indiana history, but in American automotive history. When the Great Depression drastically reduced the luxury car market, the company innovated again. Walter C. Marmon as representative of the Marmon Car Company joined forces with Arthur (Colonel) Herrington, an ex-military engineer involved in the design of all-wheel drive vehicles. Thus getting into the military truck business with A. W. S. Herrington Company, in 1931 he formed a partnership with Arthur W. Herrington in the manufacturing of trucks under the name of the Marmon-Herrington Company, the truck production division of the Marmon Motor Car Company. This company was formed by Walter C. Marmon and Arthur W. Herrington to develop all-wheel-drive trucks, initially for military purposes. Production began in March 1931 when the company received an order for 33 T-1 4 x 4 aircraft refueling trucks powered by 6-cylinder Hercules engines. These were followed by a variety of 4 x 4 and 6 x 6 vehicles for the US and Persian armies used as general load carriers, mobile machine shops, wreckers and balloon winch trucks. Reconaissance, scout and armored cars were also made, some with 4-wheel-steering as well as 4 wheel-drive. In 1932 Marmon-Herrington built the first all-wheel-drive truck and trailer combination for oil pipe construction in Iraq. In 1963, the Pritzkers acquired the Marmon-Herrington Company, successor to the Marmon Motor Car Company.
|¬недорожные транспортные средства (Land Locomotion Ц Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home|