Brill J. G. Brill began fledgling operations in 1868 and operated with the Brill name until 1956.
In 1926, ACF Motors Company obtained a controlling interest in J. G. Brill. In 1944 the two companies merged, resulting in the ACF-Brill Motors Company.
During the first world war produced trucks 4 x 4 equipped with the cardan drive primary worm gear and double cardan joints for drive each wheel.
In 1944 Brill Corporation and American Car and Foundry Motors Company merged under the brand of ACF-Brill. In 1953 was released from the factory, the amphibian pilot carbon fiber casing ACF-Brill XM148 Gull to replace GMC DUKW353. Sea trials were held, but serial production was not established.

"ACF's president, Frederick A. Stevenson, retired in May of 1947 and Charles J. Hardy, Jr., former executive vice-president of ACF, was elected president. Hardys father, Charles J. Hardy Sr., remained as ACF board chairman.
The sale to Consolidate Vultee ended ACF-Brill's involvement with American Car and Foundry and the motor coach manufacturer now answered to the directors of Consolidated Vultee. All former ACF motor coach assets were transferred to Consolidated-Vultee's 4-year-old Nashville, Tennesee facility and bus production commenced in late 1945.
At the end of the War General Motors couldnt keep up with the demand for their highly-regarded diesel transit coaches to the benefit of the nations smaller bus manufacturers such as ACF-Brill. Large fleets of gasolinepowered ACF-Brill transit coaches were sold to a handful of East Coast operators who were desperate for product, one example being the Baltimore Transit Co. who ordered 162 ACF-Brill gasoline coaches in 1947.
A small number of Willys-badged 15-17 passenger coaches were constructed in the late 1940s using chassis supplied by Willys-Overland, but the underpowered coaches were not successful. For a short period of time ACF-Brills trolley coaches proved popular with municipalities seeking to replace worn-out streetcars and a few large orders were placed by surface transit operators in Boston, Chicago, East St. Louis, Houston and other smaller cities.
A few orders trickled in for ACF-Brill's line of intercity coaches, which had enjoyed moderate success before the war, but like their main competitor, Flxible, post war sales disappeared once it became known that new Diesel-equipped GM Silversides were available.
Once their diesel transit coach operations got up to speed, it was nearly impossible to compete with General Motors and by 1952 orders for new ACF-Brill transit coaches dried up completely. ACF-Brill tried to break into the school bus market with a line of Brill-badged purpose-built school buses, but sales were disappointing at best. Flxible managed to stay in business into the late 1950s but Consolidated-Vultee's directors shut down all bus production in 1954. The firm's Nashville plant remained in operation producing television cabinets and airplance components into 1959 when it was taken over by AVCO." 2013 Mark Theobald for coachbuilt.com
(Land Locomotion Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home