Terex Corporation , is an American worldwide manufacturer of lifting and material handling solutions for a variety of industries, including construction, infrastructure, quarrying, recycling, energy, mining, shipping, transportation, refining and utilities. The company's major business segments include aerial work platforms, construction, cranes, material handling & port solutions and materials processing.
1933 to 1970
In 1933, the Euclid Company was founded by the Armington brothers. Its success designing and building haul trucks later attracted the attention of General Motors , which purchased Euclid in 1953. GM’s “Euclid Division” developed and sold large equipment including over half the nation’s off-highway dump trucks.
The dominant performance of Euclid had a negative consequence, however, when the US Department of Justice brought an antitrust suit against GM, forcing it to stop manufacturing and selling off-highway trucks in the US for four years, and to divest parts of its Euclid business and the Euclid brand name.
GM coined the "Terex" name in 1970 from the Latin words "terra" (earth) and "rex" (king) for its construction equipment products and trucks not covered by the ruling. The remaining parts of the new Terex business produced crawlers, front-end loaders, and scrapers.
Throughout its maturation, GM’s Terex Division created some of the industry’s most notable heavy construction equipment, including the world’s first off-road hauler (1Z Trac-Truk), the world’s first twin-powered dozer (TC-12) and the world’s largest truck, the Terex 33-19 "Titan,” produced in the 1970s.
The single Titan prototype produced was in service until 1990 and is now on display in Sparwood, British Columbia, near the mine it served. It remains the world's largest truck by dimensions, but not by carrying capacity (370 tons).
The recession of the early 1980s took its toll on Terex, and General Motors sold Terex to IBH Holdings, a company owned by German businessman, Dieter Esch, in 1981.
IBH Holdings collapsed in a global recession and declared bankruptcy in 1983. Ownership of Terex reverted back to General Motors, who organized it as:
Terex Equipment Limited (TEL), a manufacturing subsidy located in Scotland
Terex USA, a distributor for Terex products in the Western Hemisphere and a manufacturer of equipment and parts at its factory in Hudson, Ohio.
In 1986, Northwest Engineering, a company purchased by American entrepreneur Randolph Lenz in the early 1980’s, acquired Terex USA out of bankruptcy. At the time, Northwest Engineering was headquartered in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
When Northwest Engineering bought Terex USA in 1986, the agreement included an option to purchase Terex Equipment Limited. Northwest Engineering exercised that option in 1987. During that same year, Lenz expanded the company’s manufacturing footprint into Scotland. The next year, the name of the company was changed to Terex Corporation.
During the remainder of the decade, Terex made a number of acquisitions, including Koehring cranes and excavators (1987), Unit Rig Unit Rig (1988), and Fruehauf Trailer (1989). The Fruehauf acquisition alone resulted in Terex nearly tripling in size.
The LGM-118 Peacekeeper, also known as the MX missile (for Missile-eXperimental), was a land-based ICBM deployed by the United States starting in 1986.
Terex TA400 dump truck TRANSMISSION
Allison HD4560 with integral retarder mounted directly to the engine, fully automatic transmission with planetary gearing, electronic control with six forward and one reverse gear. Remote mounted 2 speed transfer gearbox taking drive from the transmission and feeding it via a lockable differential to front and rear wheels
AXLES Three axles in permanent all-wheel drive (6x6) with differential coupling between each axle to prevent driveline wind-up. Heavy duty axles with full fl oating axle shafts and outboard planetary reduction gearing. Automatic limited slip differentials in each axle. Leading rear axle incorporates a through drive differential to transmit drive to the rearmost axle. This differential and the dropbox output differential are locked simultaneously using one switch selected by the operator.
FRAME Front and rear frames are all-welded high grade steel fabrications with rectangular box-section beams forming the main side and cross members. Inter-frame oscillation is provided by a large diameter cylindrical coupling which houses nylon bushings. Frames articulated 45 grad to either side for steering by means of two widely-spaced pivot pins in back-to-back sealed taper roller bearings.