The Stoewer-Werk in Stettin was founded by Bernhard Stoewer senior for his sons Emil and Bernhard junior in 1896. It was the second Stoewer-Werk founded in Stettin. In 1899, automobile manufacture was started with the presentation of the Grosse Stoewer Motorwagen Ц large Stoewer motor car. In the following time, Stoewer became famous for the production of high quality and sporty luxurious cars which competed on a par with Horch and Mercedes. Beginning in 1930, Stoewer developed and produced also small and middle class cars. As an example, the first passenger car with front wheel drive in Germany was made Ц the Stoewer V 5. Mainly, Stoewer made cars by customer wish. Therefore, no larger series were made. In its 49-years existence, Stoewer realised many innovative and trend-setting developments. The history of Stoewer ended after WW II because Stettin was now located in the new Poland. Until that time, Stoewer had manufactured 41, 084 motor vehicles. Stoewer was also involved in armaments production. From 1935 to 1936, 900 Kьbelwagen of the type M 12 RW were made. Nearly 11,000 l. gl. Pkw. followed from 1936 to 1944. In addition, 1,500 Sd. Kfz. 2 were made under license.
Due to the steady expansion of sewing machine output and to create additional capacity for bicycle production,
Bernhard Stoewer Sen. founded a new enterprise in 1883. For it he chose a site in Neutorney, a district of Stettin only a few kilometres from the headquarters. At Neutorney there was plenty of building space, an important requirement for an expanding factory. Here parts of bicycles, machine tools and iron ovens for both domestic and industrial use were produced. At this new factory the founderТs two sons, Bernhard Stoewer Jun. and Emil Stoewer, were employed in managerial positions.
Founded in 1858 by Bernhard Stoewer , the company originally manufactured sewing machines, later branching out into typewriters and bicycles.
Stoewer then acquired a licence previously held by the recently-defunct Rohr company to build the Czech Tatra 1.5-liter flat-four economy car; this front-wheel-drive model was marketed as the Grief-Junior, and as such, outlived the Grief, which was discontinued in 1938.
In 1936 Stoewer factory developed the light off-road car (le.E.Pkw, leichter gelandegangiger Einheits-PKW) for the Wehrmacht, a versatile four-wheel drive car, initially equipped (to 1940) with four-wheel steering. Due to capacity-problems the cars had also been produced at BMW-Factory Eisenach ( Heinrich Ehrhardt - Founder ) as BMW 325 and by Hanomag in Hanover as Type 20 B.
Um die Typenvielfalt innerhalb der Wehrmacht zu verringern und um die zahlreichen Kubelwagen zivilen Ursprungs wie beispielsweise die Typen Mercedes-Benz 260 Stuttgart oder Wanderer W11, deren Gelandegangigkeit unzureichend war, abzulosen, entwickelte die Wehrmacht drei neue Pkw verschiedener Gewichtsklassen.
Der leichte Einheits-Pkw wurde ab 1936 von verschiedenen Firmen unter deren Bezeichnungen Stoewer R 180 und R 200 Spezial, BMW Typ 325 und Hanomag Typ 20 B produziert. Die Fahrzeuge hatten Einzelradaufhangung, Allradantrieb und Allradlenkung. Eine absolute Vereinheitlichung wurde nie erreicht, u.a. fanden vier verschiedene Motoren Verwendung.
Im Jahr 1940 wurde der leichte Einheits-Pkw uberarbeitet und in vereinfachter Form - ohne Allradlenkung - von Stoewer als "Typ 40" weitergebaut. Bei diesem war die Allradlenkung entfallen und die Seilzugbremsen durch Bremsen mit Oldruck ersetzt worden. Die Produktion wurde 1943 eingestellt, nachdem die komplizierte Technik durch den wesentlich wirtschaftlicheren VW Typ 82 uberflussig geworden war.
The biggest seller of all Stoewer cars was the LEPKW (Leicher Einheits-PKW, i.e. light standard car). The main customers were the German Armed Forces. About 11,000 were built from 1936 to 1944, at first equipped with a 1.8 lit 4 cylinder engine and then, in 1938, a 2 lit 4 cylinder one. 4-wheel drive and all-wheel steering made it capable of operating in difficult terrain. It is a tribute to their engineering skills that, even with the exacting demand of about 1,800 kg (1.8 tonnes) weight, a top speed of 80 km/h (50 mph) could be reached. From 1940 a simplified version had only 2-wheel steering. BMW and Hanomag also built a LEPKW Ц with identical bodywork but different engines.
STOEWER BROTHERS 1899 - 1916
In 1911/12 Stoewer employed Russian emigrant Boris Loutzkoy to develop an aircraft engine. This engine had four-cylinders, was of 8,600 cc capacity and had overhead camshaft with hemispherical combustion chambers. It developed 100 HP. Stoewer fitted this engine to their F4 touring car of 1912 giving it a top speed of 120 kph. Only five F4 cars were built. In 1912 Stoewer built a 6-cylinder version of the Loutzkoy engine but this never went into commercial production. However, it is likely that it was one of these engines that was used early in 1912 when it has been claimed, German pilot H. Hirt establish an air speed "record" of 160 kph. Details of this record are unclear and the flight is not included in the recognised list of world air-speed records which show Frenchman Jules Vedrines reaching 162 kph on 22nd February, 1912.
Stoewer Histoty 1899-1945
Transmission: 5 speed ZF full time 4 wd Gearbox with 3 self locking differentials at each Axle and gear box. History: The German successes at the beginning of WWII, was largely due to their tactic of " Blitzkrieg " and demonstrated not only the effectiveness of the mechanization, but also the importance of deploying innovative modern military transport vehicles. After WWI the first light car use by the Reichswehf was the Dixi 3/15 ps., which was the British Austin Seven. Produced under license by Dixi, of Eisenach. In 1929 Dixi was absorbed by BMW and the car was continued under the BMW name until 1931. In the early 30s, army transport decided that the car with a 1.5L engine will be the light car, (Pkw) The wehrmacht specified large numbers of personnel carriers, constructed on light medium and heavy motor car chassis. Most were available with a civilian rear wheel drive only and the performance was not great. Then in 1935 Stoewer, a very early German auto maker, building cars since 1899, (This Co Total production was about 40000 vehicle from 1899-1945,about 190 Vehicle are know to exist today.) designed a prototype 4x4x4. This "super modern" cross country vehicle had a high performance and possessed an incredible off road chassis, way ahead of its time, resembling modern specifications not found on vehicles until today.This Deutsche Personenkraftwagen (Einheits-Personenkraftwagen Der Leichte Einheits-Pkw). In 1936 Stoewer manufactured the R180 special, but the company was not big enough for the mass production required and BMW ( a motor cycle and light car maker ) plus Hanomag ( a locomotive and heavy tractor, semi track maker ) joined in production of the same car between 1937-1940. This is similar to the how Willys MB and Ford GPW were manufacturing the jeep at same time in the early 40's. This was also one of the most interesting and mordern vehicles before World War II and use at WWII.