In the late 1960s/early 1970s the Saunders-Roe Folly Works, by then owned by Hawker Siddeley was merged with the Gloster works to form Gloster-Saro utilising both companies' expertise in aluminium forming to produce
fire appliances and tankers in the Gloster factory at Hucclecote, mostly based on Reynolds-Boughton chassis.
During World War II, Saunders-Roe opened a factory at Fryars in Llanfaes, Anglesey, converting and maintaining Catalina flying boats. In the late 1940s and 1950s the Beaumaris factory began making bus bodies under the names Saunders,
SEAS (Saunders Engineering & Shipbuilding)
When AEC took over Crossley Motors,
many of the design staff left and joined SARO.
In pre-Atlantean days when Leyland began looking at low floor vehicles, the УLow LoaderФ (STF 90) bodied by SARO was similar in certain respects to the
chassisless bus designs. Bodies were manufactured at Beaumaris for installing on УLeyland Royal TigerФ and УLeyland Tiger CubФ chassis; SARO bodied 250 RTs for London Transport between 1948 and 1950 (RT 1152Ц1401), which were almost indistinguishable from the standard Weymann/Park Royal products; and some double-deck buses for Liverpool Corporation.
Gloster Saro acquired the fire crash tender business of Chubb Fire Security in
1984, but in 1987 was itself acquired by Simon Engineering.
In 1991 Simon Glostcr Saro produced a new range of crash tenders, the Protector rapid intervention vehicle ... on Timony chassis (Highlander Protector).