The REO Motor Car Company was a Lansing, Michigan based company that produced automobiles and trucks from 1905 to 1975.
Ransom E. Olds was an entrepreneur who founded multiple companies in the automobile industry. In 1897 Olds founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company (later, as Oldsmobile, to become a part of General Motors). In 1905 Olds left Oldsmobile and established a new company, REO Motor Car Company, in Lansing, Michigan. Olds had 52 percent of the stock and the titles of president and general manager. Originally the company was to be called "R. E. Olds Motor Car Company," but the owner of Olds' previous company, then called Olds Motor Works, objected and threatened legal action on the grounds of likely confusion of names by consumers. Olds then changed the name to his initials. Olds Motor Works soon adopted the popular name of its vehicles, Oldsmobile (which, along with Buick and Cadillac, became founding divisions of General Motors Corporation).
The company's name was spelled alternately in all capitals REO or with only an initial capital as REO, and the company's own literature was inconsistent in this regard, with early advertising using all capitals and later advertising using the "REO" capitalization. The pronunciation, however, was as a single word. Lansing is home to the R. E. Olds Transportation Museum.
In 1915, Olds relinquished the title of general manager to his protege Richard H. Scott and eight years later he ended his tenure as the company's presidency as well, retaining the position of chairman of the board.
Although the GMC CCKW was the most numerous of the WW II 2 1/2-ton, 6x6 cargo trucks, almost 200,000 of the Studebaker-designed US-6 (G-630) were produced by Studebaker and another 22,000 by REO from 1941-45. The cargo version was quite similar to the CCKW. The line haul version of the US6 was a 6x4 tractor for use with semi-trailers on improved roads. The 2 1/2 ton 6x6 truck (the "deuce and a half" or just "deuce") was one of the logistical innovations that helped the Allies win World War II. The full story about the deuce trucks, including the World War II vintage Studebaker & REO US6 Cargo Truck, is found on the linked page.
REO also built a Cardox airport firefighting truck on the 29XS chassis
the M34, was quickly superseded in military usage by the M35, the major difference being the M35Тs 10-tire configuration versus the M34Тs 6-tire configuration....5-speed manual transmission and divorced 2-speed transfer case (either a sprag-operated transfer case Rockwell 136-21 or air-operated selectable transfer case Rockwell 136-27).Although the A2 version is by far the most common, there are four different iterations: Standard, A1, A2, and A3 iterations. In 1994 the M35A3 variant was introduced as part of Extended Service Program, and between then and 1999. The curb weight of an M35 is between 13,000 pounds (5,900 kg) and 16,000 pounds (7,300 kg) empty, depending on configuration (cargo, wrecker, tractor, etc.).
The M35 2?-ton cargo truck is a long-lived 2? ton, triple-axle, 6x6 cargo truck initially used by the United States Army and subsequently utilized by many nations around the world. Over time it evolved into a family of specialized vehicles. It would not only inherit the World War II GMC CCKW's famous "Deuce and a Half" nickname but forge its own legacy.
¬недорожные транспортные средства (Land Locomotion Ц Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home