| Puch is manufacturing company company located in Graz, Austria. The company was founded in 1889 by the industrialist Johann Puch and produced automobiles, bicycles, mopeds, and motorcycles. It was a subsidiary of the large Steyr-Daimler-Puch conglomerate.
The company, initially known as Josef und Franz Werndl and Company was founded in 1864 as a rifle manufacturer. It grew rapidly during the First World War, by the end of which it employed 14,000 people. The company began producing bicycles in 1894, and Steyr-Daimler-Puch Steyr automobiles after 1918. In September 1917 Steyr recruited Hans Ledwinka, now remembered as one of the great automobile engineers of the twentieth century, but then relatively unknown, to the position of "Chefkonstrukteur", to lead the creation of their automobile manufacturing business. The first Steyr car, the six cylinder Type II "12/40" appeared in 1920. It was heavy and well-built, if a little cumbersome; soon, however, it spawned sports versions with an impressive list of international achievements. The small but luxurious 1.5 L six Type XII of the late twenties won international motor press acclaim.
The company changed it name to Steyr Steyr-Werke AG in 1924. In 1934, Steyr merged with Austro-Daimler-Puch to form Steyr-Daimler-Puch. The range produced in these years mainly consisted of very modern designs, sporting partially or complete unit construction bodies in streamlined livery, from the one-litre Steyr 50 to the 2.3 L 220 "six".
During World War II, when Austria was part of the Third Reich, Steyr-Daimler-Puch's Generaldirektor Georg Meindl became one of the first German industrialists to suggest the use of slave labour from concentration camps to boost manpower at Steyr.
Most prominent, however, was its range of off-road cars, from the two-cylinder Haflinger and the 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 Pinzgauer, the Fiat Panda 4x4 (999cc) to the Mercedes-Puch G. SDP was the initial designer and manufacturer of these utility vehicles. The Haflinger was produced from 1959–1974, the Pinzgauer from 1971–2000, and the Puch G (also known as Mercedes G-Class) from 1979. In 1987, Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG began selling portions of its different production lines to form separate companies, which included Steyr Nutzfahrzeuge AG (SNF) (still based in Steyr) for truck manufacturing, Steyr Bus GmbH (in Vienna) for bus manufacturing, Steyr-Daimler-Puch Fahrzeugtechnik AG (SFT) and the EUROSTAR joint venture in Graz-Liebenau for assembly of automobiles and, in 1990, Steyr Tractor (Steyr Landmaschinentechnik AG). Other production lines were also spun off or sold outright to form independent companies, including Puch's motorcycle division going to Piaggio and Steyr Mannlicher producing weapons. In 1990, the diesel engine division was spun off into Steyr Motorentechnik GmbH, which in 2001 became an independent company, renaming itself Steyr Motors GmbH. Steyr Landmaschinentechnik AG (Steyr Tractor) was sold to Case Corporation in 1996 and renamed Case Steyr Landmaschinentechnik (and is part of CNH since 1999). Automobile production remained with Steyr-Daimler-Puch Fahrzeugtechnik (SFT) until Magna International acquired a majority holding, in 1998, and in 2001–2 SFT was absorbed fully by Magna, becoming Magna Steyr. In 1998, the production of military vehicles was sold to an Austrian investor company, which named it Steyr-Daimler-Puch Spezialfahrzeug GmbH (SSF). In 2003, SSF was sold to the U.S. company General Dynamics, a defence equipment manufacturer.
Steyr's first truck was the Typ III, presented in 1920. Steyr built traditional bonneted trucks in the post war years, but in 1968 the distinctive cab over Steyr 90 series was introduced. This was followed by the 91 and the 92 series, built until MAN took over Steyr's truck production in 1990. A version of the 92 series is still built as the 12M18/12S18 for a number of military users, and was also sold by Britain's ERF as the ES-series. Some MAN trucks are still available with "Steyr" branding for the Austrian market.
Beginning in 1994, Steyr used MAN's F2000 cab for the NSK series (Neue Schwere Klasse, or "new heavy class"), while the light and medium duty trucks were the NLK and NMK (Neue Leichte Klasse and Neue Mittlere Klasse), based on MAN's similarly situated L2000 and M2000 ranges respectively. The NLK ranged from the 6S10 (6.5 tons, 102 PS) to the 11S23 (11 tons, 233 PS). The NMK range was from 12 tonners up to the three-axle 25S26. These cabins were referred to as "Typ 152" in Steyr's internal parlance.
Vehicles Produced: Steyr 1500A light truck & staff car
Der Rest des Konzerns wurde 1998 von der Magna Holding AG ubernommen und beschaftigt sich nach Umstrukturierungen mit Antriebstechnik, vor allem mit Allradantrieben.
The Puch company has a very long history of manufacturing bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles and cars. Many examples of these can be seen at this museum. Today the current companies (Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG and Magna Steyr) manufactures 4x4 systems for a lot of car brands, electrical systems and aluminum car bodies.
C’est d’ailleurs pour repondre a cette demande rurale et montagnarde que les dirigeants de Fiat deciderent d’offrir a sa petite Panda une transmission integrale. Mais pas n’importe laquelle, car il s’agit de proposer de vraie capacites de franchissement. Fiat fera donc appel au constructeur autrichien Steyr-Puch (qu’on connait aussi pour produire le Mercedes Classe G et qui produira plus tard la VW Golf II Country lire aussi: VW Golf Country). D’ailleurs, sous le logo 4x4 de la Panda sera place le logo Puch.
Steyr 12M18 heavy truck - variant built by BAE Systems Land & Armaments as Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles for the US Army ( Steward and Stivenson Produced M1088)
Steyr 1491 Percheron heavy truck - variant built by UTDC as 24M32 Heavy Logistic Vehicle Wheeled for the Canadian Army
Automotive Technik took over production of the Pinzgauer from Steyr-Daimler-Puch in the year 2000. In 2006 it was taken over by Armor Holdings, Inc. The company also produces engineering, automotive and military solutions.
Automotive Technik Limited is now part of Stewart & Stevenson's Tactical Vehicle Systems (TVS) Division. Centre stage on the ATL is one of the first production Pinzgauer 6x6 Armoured Variants, in the configuration which is being supplied to the New Zealand Ministry of Defence LOV (Light Operational Vehicle) requirement.
Mecedes G History
|Âíåäîðîæíûå òðàíñïîðòíûå ñðåäñòâà (Land Locomotion – Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home|