| NAPCO -
Northwestern Auto Parts Company was founded in 1918. During World War II, Napco helped the war effort by producing specialized mechanical parts and assemblies that were tested in war conditions.
After the war Napco began building four-wheel drive assemblies to be fitted to Ford, GMC, Chevrolet and Studebaker vehicles. The retail price of Napco Power-Pak was $995. This option raised the price on a two-wheel drive truck from $1,548.96 to $2,796.96. There were companies that installed these upgrades for the previously mentioned manufacturers. Besides the four-wheel drive units they also provided winches, auxiliary transmissions, tandem drive axles, hydrovac systems, and dump truck bodies.
The Napco Power-Pak option could be ordered and factory installed on trucks with very few modifications to the original chassis. The Napco Power-Pak conversions were done on 1/2, 3/4 and one ton chassis. The package was shipped in a crate measuring 80"x30"x26" weighing 1,410 pounds. In a matter of hours with as little as 4 holes drilled in existing chassis a truck would be converted into a "Mountain Goat", a full sized truck that will climb steep inclines with ease. One feature was the "shift on the fly" rubber mounted transfer case.
Today these trucks are still considered to be very versatile and durable 60 years later and are considered to be collectible by Napco enthusiasts.
The Quest For NAPCO |
Who is NAPCO?
History of NAPCO
History of DANA
NAPCO-Northwestern Auto Parts Company of Minneapolis
Chevrolet, Ford, GMC, & Studebaker NAPCO 4x4s from the 40s, 50s, 60s, & 70s
Image Gallery Task Force Napco 4X4 Trucks 1950-1959
Taken from an article written by Seth Doulton, owner of Golden State Pickup Parts. The exact date of the GM factory 4x4, is not known. What is known is that in July and August of 1954, NAPCO (Northwestern Auto Parts Company) was pushing its proven 4x4 conversion on truck upfitters and GMC dealers across the country. Upfitters were companies that installed upgrades and accessories like winches, auxiliary transmissions, tandem drive axles, dump bodies and hydrovac systems on stock factory trucks. NAPCO had been in business since 1918. During WWII, they focused all their attention on projects commissioned by prime contractors to the United States government. Mainly, this meant the production of specialized automotive parts and assemblies that could be tested on the largest proving ground in the world: WWII. After the war, the military's priorities changed, and NAPCO re-directed its vast engineering and manufacturing experience to the production of goods for private industry. Their two-speed 4x4 conversions were comprised of 85% GM parts. That meant for the most part they were serviceable by a local dealer. Complete front axle differentials, brake drums, wheels, drivelines, backing plates, springs, shock absorbers, and universal joints were all Chevrolet replacement parts. Their slogan proudly stated that, "Now you can have a standard Chevrolet four-wheel-drive pickup featuring the traction power of a tank, or, at the flip of a finger, a smoother-riding, high-speed, over-the-road truck. Aptly named the Mountain Goat, this full-sized pickup will literally leap up mountains, as well as carry you through deep mud, sand, or snow." Some features of this shift-on-the-fly 4x4 were the unchanged turning radius, a full engine torque P.T.O. option, a rubber mounted transfer case for long, silent operation, greater ease of steering, and a guarantee of no damage to the Chevrolet or GMC frame during the three-hour installation. Yes, only four holes to drill and no torch cutting! In a matter of hours, you could go from a two-wheel drive to four-wheel drive and the NAPCO POWR-PAK could be transferred from one Chevrolet truck to another. This meant that if a dealer had a truck in stock that he wanted to convert to four-wheel drive by using the NAPCO POWR-PAK, he could order the POWR-PAK four-wheel drive package. Soon, a wooden crate, 80 inches long, 30 inches wide and 26 inches deep, would show up on his loading dock weighing in at 1,410 lbs. with all the necessary parts enclosed. Now, take into consideration that a 1/2-ton, two-wheel-drive pickup listed for $1,548.96 in 1954. The retail price of the POWER-PAK was $995, which included a dealer freight cost of $800 from Minneapolis, Minnesota (home of NAPCO). Installation by an upfitter or equipment company included the cost of the POWER-PAK, and listed at $1,248. This brought the complete list price of the finished truck to $2,796.96. These conversions were done on the 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton, one-ton, and the two-ton trucks, as well as the Suburbans and panels.
|¬недорожные транспортные средства (Land Locomotion Ц Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home|