In 1942 Eugene Clark died and was succeeded by executive vice-president Albert Bonner.
By the 1950s the breadth of ClarkТs product sales was primarily driven by MichiganТs automotive industry.
This placed the company in a precarious position and poised a huge single industry business risk.
Management saw diversifying ClarkТs product range through development and acquisitions as the solution.
In 1953, Clark acquired the Ross Carrier Co., a manufacturer of lift trucks and straddle, and cable carriers.
This also included the companyТs subsidiary, the Michigan Power Shovel Co., that had a line of wheel loaders still in the early stages of development.
In 1954 Clark announced it was entering the wheel loader market with a line of six models to be sold under the Michigan brand name and ranging from 15 cubic feet (.45 m3) to 2.5 cubic yards (1.9 m3).
To mark its entrance in the earth-moving equipment business, the company built a new plant in Benton Harbor, Michigan.
In 1954 the first Michigan wheel loader was presented. Since then many different models ranging from small to large have been made. After the formation of VME group, the smaller loader models were phased out to make room for the smaller Volvo BM models. However some of the smaller models were still produced during a period in Brazil. The brand namne Clark Michigan was changed to Michigan with the creation of the VME Group in 1985.