Knuckey

Knuckey The M26 tractor was designed by the San Francisco-based Knuckey Truck Company (specializing in mining and quarry truck designs), the first tractors were armored for battlefield recoveries and were turned over to the Army in late 1943. But because Knuckey could not produce the vehicles in sufficient numbers, Pacific Car and Foundry Company, of Renton Washington, was brought into the contract and ended up manufacturing most of the Dragon Wagons over its 5-year production period. By 1944, a second unarmored model with a canvas cab roof (M26A1) took the place of the original armored model on the production lines and by the end of the run there were over 1,270 of both models completed. The 6x6 M26 tractor had an armored cab that protected the crew of 7 from small arms fire, and artillery fragments. The engine was a 6 cylinder Hall-Scott 440, capable of delivering 240bhp, powering the vehicle by way of a drive shaft and a patented chain drive to the rear bogie assembly. There had a four-speed transmission and a three-speed transfer box, allowing a total mix of 12 speeds, generally enough for both on or off road driving. Speed controllers were installed to limit the speed to 45 mph. The chain drive at the rear wheels proved to be one of the more noticeable characteristics of the M26 as the chain was a continual self-lubricating type and constantly threw oil along the road wherever the vehicle traveled. The weight of the M26 tractor was 21 tons, and its fuel consumption astronomical at more than a litre per kilometre, even on good roads. The M15 trailer could take a load of up to 40 tons. This was sufficient to support to the Sherman, the main "client" of the Dragon Wagons. The weight of the trailer was 17.5 tons, and relied on two folding ramps to load the vehicles. The rear wheels could be moved horizontally (by increasing the length of the axles), to facilitate the loading of vehicles with different widths as well as the use of steel ramps fitted over the rear tires preventing damage. The M26 entered service with the US Army in Europe in 1944-45, and was replaced by the 10 ton 6x6 M123 semi-tractor from 1955. In the nomenclature system used by the U.S Army+ Ordnance Corps+ Supply Catalog this vehicle is referred as the "G160".

Внедорожные траспортные средства
(Land Locomotion – Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM)
Cайт информационный, некоммерческий.
(На странице "commerc" размещены ссылки на отечественные коммерческие сайты)
Сайт постоянно редактируется. Замечания можно отправлять на E-mail: nesterovich@offroadvehicle.ru
Home