Herrington

(AWD Truck Manufacturers, history, logo, PADRES DEL AUTO)

Herrington PickUp
Herrington LD
Herrington Brush Truck
Herrington Station Wagon
Herrington Cargo PreWar
Herrington truck 4x4 PreWar
Herrington Truck 4x4 In War
Herrington Models Of 4x4 Trucks
Herrington Models Of 6x6 Trucks
Herrington 6x6
Herrington COE
Herrington Truck 4x4 Post War II
Herrington Station Wagon and PickUp Post War
Arthur William Sidney Herrington

Arthur William Sidney Herrington, (born March 30, 1891, Coddenham, East Suffolk, Eng.—died Sept. 6, 1970, Indianapolis, Ind., U.S.), American engineer and manufacturer who developed a series of military vehicles. Начинал работая на Harley-Davidson. Затем была служба в армии США. В двадцатые годы Херрингтон участвует в разработке полноприводной техники для армии. Дальше была работа на Coleman Motors, затем Мармон предложил Херрингтону должность главного конструктора в его компании.

Howard C. Marmon

1945 Marmon Herrington AWD Truck Preview Order Print Ad

В 1928 г командование американской армии решило перейти на стандартные автомобили пяти типовых проектов - QUARTERMASTER CORPS STANDARD FLEET . Between 1928 and 1932 The U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps began building several different models of trucks in their Ft Holabird, Maryland shops. These trucks were known as the QMC Standard Fleet, and trucks ranging from 1-1/4 to 12 ton were built, including 4x4 and 6x6 models. One of the primary figures in the development of these trucks was Arthur W. Herrington, who would start Marmon-Herrington in 1931. It was no co-incidence that the early Marmon Herrington trucks were very similar to some of the QMC models. Our WAI truck appears to be one of the Group IV 6 to 7 ton 4x4 QMC models, a pretty heavy truck for a 4x4.

В 1928 г командование американской армии решило перейти на стандартные автомобили пяти типовых проектов - ‘Standard Fleet’. Попытки оснащения армии надежными, стандартизованными транспортными средствами производились и ранее.

Уместно вспомнить миссию Alexander Williams по использованию в Армии приемлемых транспортных средств и опыты с грузовиком Liberty .

С октября 1917 два прототипа грузовиков своим ходом были доставлены War Department in Washington D.C для испытания. Результаты были успешными и к середине ноября, правительство заключило контракты для приобретения комплектующих. В 1918 году фирма Garford совместно с фирмой «Холт» (англ. Holt) разработала и построила первый американский 3-тонный грузовик с полугусеничной ходовой частью. В этом же году на мощностях завода было собрано 978 стандартизованных армейских грузовиков «Либерти» (англ. Liberty).

Создание в середине 30-х гг. специальных военных автомобилей "Шевроле" связано с разработкой в кооперации с "Джи-Эм-Си" полноприводных версий серийной техники.

Первый 1,5-тонный грузовик "Шевроле" (4x4) был снабжен сложным и тяжелым шестеренным приводом передних колес конструкции Ричарда Эсама (Richard Asam) . В 1936 г. второй 72-сильный вариант оборудовали трансмиссией и передним ведущим мостом, разработанными отделением "Дженерал Моторс Трак" с использованием шарниров равных угловых скоростей "Бендикс-Вейсс" (Bendix-Weiss) .

Dodge спользовал систему Welles-Thornton в приводе задней (аналог TRADO)

Ford совместно с Marmon-Herrington также использовал эту систему Welles-Thornton для постройки в 1940 г грузовика Ford MM5-6 1940 6x6 .

Предполагалось что за создание техники отвечала не изготовитель, а армия в лице Квартирмейстерского корпуса Сухопутных сил США в форте Холеберд. Автомобили под маркой QMC (Quartermaster Corps) собирали из тщательно отобранных военными самых удачных узлов и агрегатов на заводах нескольких пожелавших участвовать в проекте фирм. При этом одним из ведущих инженеров, ответственных за разработку полноприводной техники, стал полковник Артур Херингтон.
Все 60 построенных QMC армейских автомобилей отличались очень сложной конструкцией с применением оригинальных, но не практичных технических решений.
Артур Херингтон в 1931 году уходит в отставку и открывает вместе с бизнесменом Уолтером Мармоном предприятие Marmon-Herrington в городе Индианаполисе .
Основное направление – производство военной техники. Используя старые связи, Херингтон сразу же получает заказ на три десятка полноприводных топливозаправщиков модели 33T1 для службы на аэродромах. Конструктивно это были все те же автомобили QMC. Разница заключалась в более дешевых коробках передач, семилитровых шестицилиндровых моторах фирмы Hercules мощностью 94 л. с. и в мостах и раздаточной коробке собственного изготовления. При этом Херингтон разработал и запатентовал свой вариант шарниров равных угловых скоростей типа Rzeppa .
В первой половине 30-х Marmon-Herrington выпускает модельный ряд полноприводных грузовиков серии TH грузоподъемностью 1.5–7.5 тонны, А грузоподъемностью от 1.5 до 3 тонны с упрощенной кабиной без боковых стекол и с тентом вместо жесткой крыши. Строятся специальные автомобили-эвакуаторы, проектируются и выпускаются полугусеничные и гусеничные тягачи и броневики.
В 1934 году Конгресс США приостановил работу Квартирмейстерского корпуса. А вместо автомобилей специальной конструкции армия США стала получать военные модификации обычных коммерческих грузовиков, главным преимуществом которых были дешевизна и возможность наращивания производства. В игру вступают крупные американские автопроизводители ( Chrysler , Ford, GMC ).
В 1935 году поток заказов иссяк и предприятие Мармона и Херингтона оказалось в сложном положении.
Выход был найден в сотрудничестве с Ford Motor Company . На базе Ford V-8 выпускаются Models E5-4 4x4 , E6-4 4x4 , E5-6 6x6 , E6-6 6x6 "Barrel Nose". При этом Marmon-Herrington резко сократил выпуск собственной техники, оставив только тяжелую серию, и сосредоточился на доработке «фордовских» автомобилей (серия LD - седан, пикапy , фургон, грузовик и универсал): производилась установка переднего ведущего моста, мостов Timken и двухступенчатой раздаточной коробки собственного изготовления, новых тормозов и измененных крыльев, передняя подвеска на поперечной рессоре заменялась более удобным для работы с полным приводом вариантом на продольных рессорах. Раму усиливали.
В 1938–1939 годах ведущие мосты «Мармон-Херрингтон» поставлялись на бельгийский филиал в Антверпене, где собирались легковые автомобили «Форд» серий 81Y и 91Y, (кузова для них собирала местная фирма Ragheno). К 1940 году фирма Marmon-Herrington предлагала почти 70 моделей и модификаций на основе автомобилей Ford .
Началась Вторая Мировая Война.
Marmon-Herrington участвовал (The United States Ordnance Department was given the task of developing the proposed tank, and in turn requested designs from three American companies: General Motors, J. Walter Christie and Marmon-Herrington) в разработке танка на конкурсной основе. Участники тендера - General Motors, J. Walter Christie and Marmon-Herrington.
Специально для действий в условиях пустыни Сахара был разработан полноприводный грузовик Ford- Marmon-Herrington E5-4 грузоподъемностью 1.5 тонны с односкатной ошиновкой на заднем мосту и мягким тентом вместо стальной крыши кабины. MH-поставлял для Британии технику в начале войны -более дешевые американские полноприводные Chevrolet и Dodge появились позже.
MH поставлял также раздаточные коробки и ведущие мосты для канадских стандартизированных армейских грузовиков Ford CMP (Canadian Military Pattern, т. е. «канадская военная модель»). Полукапотные двухосные Ford-Marmon-Herrington HH6-COE4 поставлял в СССР в 1941–1942 годах, они использовались в качестве шасси для «Катюш».
После окончания боевых действий Marmon-Herrington продолжает переделывать «фордовские» автомобили во внедорожники. И даже предлагает машину собственной разработки на базе пикапа Ford F1 – двухдверный вездеход LD7-4 «Ranger» со 100-сильным V8 под капотом (рабочий объем 3.9 литра).
Постепенно Ford начинает отказываться от услуг давнего партнера. Ford в 1949 году переходит на новое семейство с независимой передней пружинной подвеской, изогнутой рамой и низкой посадкой. Marmon-Herrington переделывает средние и тяжелые грузовики Ford .
Marmon-Herrington выпускает троллейбусы и заднеприводные развозные фургоны полукапотной компоновки.
Marmon-Herrington продает лицензии на агрегаты для переделки стандартных автомобилей в полноприводные Артуру Боке (Arthur Bocquet), дилеру компании "Форд" (Ford). Это послужило базой для создания автомобиля Simca Unic Marmon Bocquet - SUMB (MH 600 BS). В названии - создатели автомобиля - SIMCA , Unic .
В 1963 году компания разделяется на Marmon Group и Marmon-Herrington . Причем теперь Marmon-Herrington работает с Ford а также Chevrolet, GMC, International и т. д.
Летом 1963 г. компанию "Мармон-Херрингтон" выкупил один из ее дилеров, перевел в город Дентон и переименовал в "Мармон".
В настоящее время Marmon-Herrington активно сотрудничает с компанией Oshkosh. В частности, раздаточными коробками и мостами фирмы комплектуются бронеавтомобили класса MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected), модели Oshkosh M-ATV, которых с 2009 года было выпущено более 8 тысяч единиц. Эти машины активно используют американские и английские солдаты в Афганистане.
Изложение статьи "http://media.club4x4.ru/print:page,1,1711-kompaniya-marmon-herington.html"

When the US Army Quartermaster Corps began developing its so-called ‘Standard Fleet’ around 1928, the 60 or so vehicles included were broken into five groups numbered I to 5, each roughly corresponding to a weight class.

Among the new designs in group I, the lightest weight class, there were two 2.5 -ton 6x6 vehicles. When they were subsequently rolled out of the shops of the Hoiabird Quartermaster’s Depot in 1932, one, W3228, was powered by a Duesenberg J engine, while the other, W3229, was powered by a Lycoming. In time, a Franklin air-cooled V12 was also trialled in one of the vehicles.
It is worth noting that during this time, a certain AW Herrington was employed by the Motor Transport Division of the Quartermaster Corps. While the Standard Fleet did not enter mass production, the vehicles created were instrumental in defining future generations of US Army tactical vehicles. The Standard Fleet had been created with the purpose of crafting vehicles built to wholly military specifications using standardised components, as opposed to the previous process of buying commercial vehicles from a variety of manufacturers – vehicles that might have closely fitted military needs, but were rarely exactly what the US Army wanted. Ultimately however, Congress and the Comptroller General of the United States decreed that the Army could not produce its own vehicles as it had with the Standard Fleet, but rather had to rely on private enterprise for its future needs.
Although those with dual rear wheels faired better, the off-road shortcomings of two-axle vehicles, even 4x4s, were obvious. Accordingly, consideration was given to 6x6 trucks, and in 1933 the Army procured a commercial 2.5-ton 6x6. Designated the TL29-6, this truck was manufactured by the Indianapolis-based Marmon-Herrington Company, which had AW Herrington, no longer in the service of the Army, as one of its principals.
The TL29-6 was not without competition, as Corbitt offered the Army its 168-FD8.
While neither design was an outright failure, neither offered the Army what it wanted at the price it wanted to pay. At this point in time, powered front axles were still in their infancy, and vehicles so equipped were limited-production, expensive, specialist machines. However, the concept had piqued the interest of the GMC Division of automotive titan General Motors. GMC had its origins in the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company and the Reliance Motor Company, both Detroit-based independent truck manufacturers.

U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps built trucks for the Army at Ft. Holabird from 1928 to 1932. Many of these trucks were the "blueprint" for the models which would follow in the later '30's and WW2. Herrington was a civilian consulting engineer on this project. There was much opposition from U.S. truck builders to the U.S. government being in the truck building business and taking potential business away from the civilian truck manufacturers. The manufacturers fought this for many years, until they finally put enough pressure on Congress to put an end to the QMC truck building in 1932. Herrington was well aware of the manufacturer's intentions, so in 1930 he left his posion in the QMC. With his knowledge of all wheel drive truck building, he partnered with Walter Marmon in March of 1931 to form Marmon-Herrington. Herrington would go on to sell hundreds of trucks to the military, many of them very similar to the models he engineered at the QMC.

Robert C. Wallace,
Chief Engineer Bob Wallace found the idea doable and purchased a used ’35 Ford half-ton from a nearby used car lot, made the conversion , and by July of ’36, the truck had been very successfully tested on the King Ranch in Texas. It’s capability blew everyone away and that performance standard remained unbeaten until the first jeeps debuted in 1940.
A Chicago native, Mr. Wallace graduated from Lake Forest Academy and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in automotive engineering.
He was the engineering supervisor in the development of power brakes when he worked for Stutz Motor Car Co. in Indianapolis.
In the mid-1930s, he joined Marmon Herrington, also in Indianapolis. He was director of engineering for the firm, which made trucks, buses and tanks. During World War II, he helped design amphibious Jeeps, lightweight tanks that could be carried in gliders and high-speed track-laying tractors.
From 1947 to 1961, he worked for Diamond T Motor Truck Co , then in Cicero. He subsequently spent six years with White Motor Co. and three years with Brockway Motor Truck Co.

John D Hertz
In Chicago, an empire was also being built by John D Hertz – later of rental car fame – who owned Yellow Cab.
In November 1922 he purchased the Lake Shore Motor Bus Company, which included the American Motor Bus Manufacturing Company. The initial function of the firm was to provide buses for the Chicago Motor Bus Company, also controlled by Hertz, but it was soon selling motor coaches to other operators.
On 17 April 1923, the American Motor Bus Manufacturing Company was sold to the Yellow Cab Manufacturing Company, which promptly reorganised as the Yellow Coach Manufacturing Company. The business prospered, with well over 2000 units being delivered between August 1923 and July 1925, about half going to Hertz-controlled firms. The company’s success was noted by Alfred P Sloan, chairman of General Motors, and, on 8 July 1925, a merger of General Motors with Yellow Coach Manufacturing was announced. General Motors would get 60% of the new holding company, Yellow Truck and Coach Company, in exchange for the assets of General Motors Truck Company (GMC) and the obscure GM subsidiary of Northway Motor and Manufacturing Company.
On 26 August 1925, the deal was consummated and, in March 1927, the new firm acquired a 160-acre tract of land near Pontiac, Michigan, for the construction of a new assembly plant. Trucks began leaving the assembly line on 5 January 1928. With 26 acres under cover, it was at the time the world’s largest truck plant.
It was from this formidable position that General Motors entered into the US Army 6x6 fray in response to a 1937 invitation to bid. Its purpose-built model 4929 was a stylish 1.5-ton truck featuring an Oldsmobile 230 engine mated to a Chevrolet four-speed transmission, powering Timken axles through a Wisconsin T32 transfer case. The front-end sheet metal was Chevrolet pattern, and the truck chassis was a modified Yellow commercial unit. Utilising such readily available components both lowered unit cost and speeded up production. In total, 229 were built against contract 398-QM-6270 valued at $539,534, and the last was delivered on the final day of May 1938.


Designing a Standard Army Truck

Testing a Class C 5-ton truck on uneven ground and over railroad tracks.

The Army had experienced motorized trucks during the Mexican Punitive Expedition of 1916. There, it was obvious that the truck's mobility, endurance and speed far exceeded the ability of the conventional horse-drawn wagon.
But maintenance was a nightmare. The Quartermaster Corps realized that a truck of standard design and interchangeable parts was a requirement for the Army.
A design committee was formed of Quartermaster officers, Society of Automotive Engineers members, and volunteers from the truck manufacturing companies. Design for a standard Army truck proceeded quickly.
Production of the Standard B Liberty truck began in April 1918, and did not stop until the end of the war.
While American industry produced over 118,000 trucks of all types including Liberty's, only 51,554 were sent overseas.
Two other classes of vehicles were needed by the Quartermaster Corps--a Standard A, 2-ton and a Standard AA, 3/4 ton. these were designed at the same time as the Standard B, and were also using interchangeable parts. The Standard B 3-ton was the only truck to go into full scale production.
General Pershing's estimate of 50,000 trucks proved grossly inadequate. The American Expeditionary force never had more than 50% of the vehicles and 30% of the personnel required by prescribed tables of organization.
By October 1917, two prototype trucks were driven overland to the War Department in Washington D.C. for extensive trials. The results were so successful that by mid November, the government had signed contracts for all the interchangeable components.




Volunteers from commercial manufacturers assisted in the standard design of the Army truck, and included:

Kelley-Springfield Motor Truck Co, Springfield, Ohio
International Motor Co, New York
Gramm-Bernstein Motor Truck Co, Lima, Ohio
Dorris Motor Car Co, St Louis, Missouri
Republic Motor Truck Co, Alma, Michigan
Kissell Motor Car Co, Hartford, Wisconsin
Service Motor Truck Co, Wabash, Indiana
Velie Motors Corps, Moline, Illinois
United States Motor Truck Co, Cincinnati
Seldon Motor Vehicle Corp, Rochester, NY
Dart Motor Truck Co, Waterloo, Iowa
Denby Motor Truck Co, Detroit, Mich
Thomas & Thomas, Detroit, Mich
Winther Motor Truck Co, Kenosha, Wisc
Sterling Motor Truck Co, Milwaukee, Wisc <
Packard Motor Car Co, Detroit, Mich
Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Co, Buffalo, NY
Westinghouse electric & Mfg Co, Pittsburg
Splitdorf Electrical Co, Newar, NJ
Dayton Engineering Labs Co, Dayton, Ohio
Bijur Motor Lighting Co, Hoboken, NJ
Wagner Electric Mfg Co, St. Louis, Missouri
Remy Electric Co, Anderson, Indiana Timken Detroit Axle Co, Detroit, Mich
Sheldon Axle & Spring Co, Wilkes-Barre, Penn
Russell Axle Co, North Detroit, Mich
Columbia Axle Co, Cleveland, Ohio
Torbensen Axle Co, Cleveland Ohio
The Autocar Co, Ardmore, Penn
Waukesha Motor Co, Waukesha, Wisc
Wisconsin Motor Co, West Allis, Wisc
Hercules Motor Co, Canton, Ohio
Hinkley Motor Co, Detroit, Mich
Continental Motor Co, Detroit, Mich
Buda Motor Co, Harvey, Illinois
William & Harvey Rowland, Inc, Philadelphia
Bock Bearing Co, Toledo, Ohio
Muncie Gear Works, Muncie, Indiana
McCord Mfg Co, Detroit, Mich
Covert Gear, Detroit, Mich
Brown-Lipe Gear Co, Syracuse, NY
Detroit Gear & Machine Co, Detroit, Mich
Warner Gear Co, Muncie Indiana
International Motor Car Co, New York
Standard Parts Co, Cleveland, Ohio

John Hertz

Alfred P Sloan

Nicholas Peter Sorrel Straussler . Nicholas Straussler (1891–1966) was an engineer mainly remembered for devising the flotation system used by Allied amphibious DD tanks during World War II. Born in Hungary, he developed a reputation as an innovative automotive engineer before moving to Britain during the interwar period. His work was mainly to do with amphibious, off-road and military vehicles

Nicholas Peter Sorrel Straussler . John Walter Christie (May 6, 1865 – January 11, 1944) was an American engineer and inventor. He is best known for developing the Christie suspension system used in a number of World War II-era tank designs, most notably the Soviet BT and T-34 series, and the British Covenanter and Crusader Cruiser tanks, as well as the Comet heavy cruiser tank.[

GMC 6x6 Cargo Army Truck in WW2
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/PrintTopic11648.aspx
http://wwiijeepparts.com/Tools/JeepAccessoriesBox/WW2JeepFordGP.html
http://www.rumvi.com/products/ebook/
http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2010/03/01/hmn_feature23.html
http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Hertz-1
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7657035
http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/y/yellow_cab/yellow_cab.htm
http://www.quitcomp.hu/hertzbeta/index.php?rent=hertz_street.php
Неизвестная Америка(часть 234): Первый паркетник -Ford Marmon-Herrington LD2-4. (deadangel
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16499
http://www.marmon-herrington.webs.com/truck_cdn.html
http://www.o5m6.de/ford_marmon.html
http://media.club4x4.ru/print:page,1,1711-kompaniya-marmon-herington.html
http://fuchs-online.com/overlandmail/articles/The_Nairn_Way.htm
U S Army Transportation Museum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmon_Group
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/thechassisman/vehicles
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/thechassisman/vehicles/74899/photos/4328328
http://army-technology.com/
ford
http://www.aficionadosalamecanica.net/transmision-delantera.htm
http://what-when-how.com/automobile/universal-joints-automobile/
ГАЗ 61
http://aviarmor.net/tww2/photo/usa/ac_ford_marmon_91y/ford-marmon_belg1940_6x6.jpg
http://www.marmon-herrington.webs.com/usmc.html

Внедорожные траспортные средства
(Land Locomotion – Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM)
The Contact telephone: 8-903-110-70-97 - Anatoly Petrovich
Cайт информационный, некоммерческий.
(На странице "commerc" размещены ссылки на отечественные коммерческие сайты)
Сайт постоянно редактируется. Замечания можно отправлять на E-mail: ap-fedosov@newmail.ru.
Home