Fabryka Samochodow Osobowych was established on August 1, 1948, as the State-owned Enterprise under the name FSO, which was given the task to launch and run a passenger car factory in Warsaw.
Start of production took place on November 6, 1951.
In the 1968, the Polski Fiat "125 P" enter in production.
Poles realized also an amphibious six-wheels version of the Polish "126". The "LPT" ( LPT stands for "Lekki Pojazd Terenowy", Light All-terrain Vehicle), produced by the "Zaklady Motoryzacyjne 5" (WZMot-5 Wojskowe Zaklady Motoryzacyjne Nr 5) in the city of Poznan, was based on parts from the Fiat 126