1909 George Armington established Euclid Crane & Hoist Company
1931 Euclid Crane & Hoist changes name to Euclid Road Machinery Company
1950 Euclid Great Britain established in Scotland to produce haulers
1953 Reach-All (truck mounted aerial lifts) founded as Arrowhead Tree Service Inc.
GM purchases Euclid Road Machinery - starts manufacturing crawler tractors
1968 GM sells Euclid off-highway truck business to White Motor Corp
1977 Euclid by Daimler-Benz AG (W. Germany)
1984 Euclid, Inc. by Clark Michigan Company
1985 Clark (Euclid & Michigan brands) forms joint venture with Volvo AB and names it VME
1992 VME & HCM forms Euclid-Hitachi
Euclid, founded in 1926, was once one of the world's leading heavy
equipment manufacturers and produced haul trucks and scrapers for the
heavy construction and mining industries.
The Euclid Crane and Hoist Co, owned by George A. Armington and his 5 sons was already a big well-respected and profitable operation when in 1924 they introduced the Euclid Automatic Rotary Scraper - followed shortly after by the Euclid Wheeler (wheeled) scraperThese earthmoving items were thought up by Georges eldest son Arthur who was convinced a good future lay in designing earthmoving equipment and who steered the company into the earthmoving field The two models of scrapers were a resounding success and a third model the Euclid Contractors Special was even more successful as it was designed to cope with hard ground
Arthur and his father had even built a successful prototype crawler and tested it on the family farm just prior to this but the crawler idea was dropped for reasons unknown The success of the scrapers led to the formation of the Road Machinery Division of Euclid Crane and Hoist in 1926 Big public works construction programs of 1927 and 1928 requiring huge amounts of soil to be shifted saw to the further success of the Euclid Road Machinery division
Euclid produced crawler wagons on tracks (similar to Athey Wagons) known as Euclid Tu-Way haulers The crawler track speed restriction was seen as a problem and the next version was on steel wheels for improved speed George Armington Jr was a keen hydraulics designer and produced the first hydraulic Euclid dumpers around 1930
Arthur Armington had died suddenly in 1937, leading to a stumble in Euclids fortunes - but George Armington lived until 1954, dying at the age of 89, after overseeing the highly satisfying and successful sale of Euclid to GM. Sons Stuart & Everett Armington retired in 1953, and George Jr retired in 1958 - with the youngest son Ray, being the last Armington to retire in 1960, after 7 years as General Manager of GM's Euclid Division.
The 1950s and 1960s were good years for Euclid Trucks. Euclid produced the industries first 50 ton, 3 axle dump truck, with twin Cummins power, in 1951. Euclid produced two and three axle dump trucks with capacities up to 105 tons, in this period - with some of the largest three axle units, being used as tractors for even larger end dumps, and bottom dump haulers.
From these early machines, Euclid went on to produce thousands of off-road haulers and scrapers, of ever-improving and larger design and became a large corporation by the early 1950s. The early 1950s was a period of great expansion and company mergers, and in 1953, the Euclid Corporation was purchased by General Motors, in what the leaders of both companies saw, as an advantageous deal, with complementary product lines. This deal came about, due to GM's already awakened desire to enter into the earthmoving manufacturing field and the realisation by the Armington family, that a GM takeover would provide capital and design ability that they could only dream about. The GM takeover deal was announced on September 30, 1953, with the official takeover date being January 1, 1954.
Euclid Road Machinery Company of Euclid, Ohio, was die first company to specialize in haulers for off-high-way use. Starting xs rhe Armingron Electric Hoist Company in 1907, and continuing as the Euclid Crane and Hoist Company from 1909, the company's products included pull-type scrapers, rollers, wagons (crawler and wheeled), and tractor equipment such as dozer blades. Later, in1931, the Euclid Road Machinery Company was incorporated со reflect the growing earthmoving business.
In 1933, the company experimented with a 5-yard bottom-dumping semitrailer intended for off-highway use, and pulled by a Chevrolet truck with shortened wheelbase. The next year, Euclid built its own о ff-road truck, a rear-dump type of 7-eubic yard capacity, chris tened the "Trac-Tnik". The success of this truck estab lished Euclid as the first company to specialize solely in off-highway haulers. In 1936, the initial version of the famous FD-series trucks hit the dirt with its 15-ton capacity. From then on, haulers grew ever larger to keep pace with larger shovels loading them.
To overcome the limitations ot available engine and transmission power, Euclid pioneered the twin-drive concept in its rear-dump trucks in 1949, with die 34-ton Model FFD. This model contained two Detroit 6-71engines, each driving one of its tandem axles through separate transmissions. The 1LLD 50-ton rear dump followed in 1951. Billed as the largest producdon truck in the world, the 1LLD was powered by two 300-horsepower Cummins NHRS engines. The demand for these large trucks came from famous earthmoving contractor West ern Contracting Corporation. By 1952 they were running a fleet of 30 of these behemoths.
By the late 1940's Euclid's
product line had expanded to include bulldozers and loaders and it's
name, as well as unique green color, had become known around the
world for quality equipment.
In 1953 General Motors acquired Euclid and during the 1950's and 1960's
they continued to grow and as a division of GM they developed even
larger types of earth moving equipment. In 1968, as the result of an anti-
trust lawsuit, GM was forced to sell Euclid but retained the bulldozer, loader
and scraper product lines. The later became products of Terex. Euclid
and the hauler product line then passed through the hands of White
Motor Company, Daimler-Benz, Clark Michigan Company and Lincolin
Electric before finally finding a home with Hitachi in 1994 and becoming
known as Euclid-Hitachi. But in 2004 the famous "Euclid Green" was
replaced with "Hitachi Orange" and the Euclid name was phased out by
the end of the year, ending 80 years of the Euclid name appearing on
earth moving equipment.