Dart

(AWD Truck Manufacturers, history, logo, PADRES DEL AUTO)

Dart Established in 1903 as a highway truck builder, the Dart Truck Company built its first heavy-duty off-high¬way truck in 1937. In 1924 Dart Manufacturing was renamed as the Hawkeye-Dart Truck Company. In 1925 the name became Dart Truck Company, with the factory being in Kansas City. A diesel-electric tractor pulling two 40-ton trailers for coal hauling was built in 1939. In the early 1950s. Dart discontinued its highway truck line in favor of off-highway trucks, which ii built in ever-increasing sizes. As already mentioned, Dart's tandem drive 75-ton Model 75-TA, designed by Ralph Kress in 1951, was a world record-beater for size. The massive tandem-drive truck launched by the Dart Truck Co. in 1951 was a world record-beater for size. Its rated capacity of 75 tons was unheard-of at that time and far exceeded the size of any previous off-highway hauler. Known as the model 75-TA, this giant earth hauler was designed by veteran truck builder Ralph Kress, then general manager of the company. Kress's colorful career later led him to design innovative off-road haulers for Wabco and Caterpillar, as well as for his son's company, Kress Corp., which he joined in 1969. This monster truck sported two Buda diesel engines under the hood, each developing 300 horsepower, and each driving one of the two rear axles through torque converters. The engines, two of the largest ever installed in a truck, were mounted behind the cab to give the driver better visibility and keep him away from heat and fumes. The radiator fans up front, positioned 12 feet away from the engines, were driven by long belt-driven shafts from the transfer case. For simplicity and ruggedness, the front wheels were mounted on a steering axle that pivoted on a centrally mounted king pin on the truck frame. Instead of independent wheel steering, twin double-acting hydraulic cylinders moved the entire axle, providing smooth steering and effortless control by the driver. The empty truck tipped the scales at just under 50 tons, and overall width and length measured 11 feet 9 inches and 32 feet, respectively. Dart intended to sell fleets of these trucks, but like many innovations, it was ahead of its time and only one was ever built. Although the 75-TA did not live up to expectations, Dart did achieve a fair measure of success with its subsequent off-highway haulers. In fact, by the early 1950s, Dart began to phase out its highway truck line in favor of off-highway vehicles, several of which achieved industry firsts. These included a 95-ton capacity, rear-dumping tractor-trailer unit in 1960— the world's first mechanical-drive truck of regular two-axle configuration to beat the 100-ton barrier in 1966—and the world's largest tandem-axle mechanical-drive hauler at 85-ton capacity launched in 1980. Dart's complete truck line included both mechanical and diesel-electric drive units. In 1956, the Model D2771 was the first mechanical-drive truck of regular two-axle con¬figuration to beat the 100-ton barrier-Dart offered both mechanical and diesel-electric drive in its truck line. The Dart Truck Company was bought (1958) by Pacific Car and Foundry Company (later known as Paccar) of Bellevue, Washington. Dart Truck Company became a subsidiary of Pacific Car and Foundry, and the Dart brand name was changed to KW-Dart (KW being a shortened variation of Kenworth). The purchase of Dart by Pacific Car and Foundry had been approved by the PC&F board of directors on February 25, 1958. In 1960 Dart came out with a 95-ton capacity, rear-dumping tractor-trailer unit known as the 95EDT. Kennecott bought its first KW Dart haulage trucks (1963), which included the company's 65-ton rigid-frame model, and its 110-ton articulated model. 1965 Dart claimed it was the first to build a mechanical-drive, two-axle hauler to break the 100-ton barrier. The Dart Model D-2771 debuted in 1965 at 110-tons rated capacity. A GM 12V149 engine of 740 flywheel-horsepower powered it, but an optional turbocharged version put out 920 flywheel-horsepower. The truck featured Dart's own design of front and rear axles and suspension system combining steel springs with compressed air. Dart also offered an electric version, the DE2771, of the same tonnage, featuring a diesel-electric module comprising a Cummins engine, radiator, General Electric DC generator and exciter mounted on one frame to form a single exchangeable unit. "KW" was dropped from the KW Dart brand name when the KW Dart Truck Company Division of Paccar became the Dart Truck Company Division of Paccar (1970). In 1970 QCM's (Quebec Cartier Mine) trucks were converted to trolley - including KW Dart 85 ton, Unit Rig M85 (85 ton), and Unit Rig M100 (100 ton) trucks. Trolley continued to operate successfully until the iron ore deposit was depleted and mining activity ceased in 1977. Over the life of the system, QCM realized a 23% improvement in productivity and an 87% decrease in fuel consumption on the grade. By 1970 the line consisted of three sizes of two-axle mechanical-drive trucks in capacities up to 110-ton capacity, and 120-ton and 150-ton two-axle electric-drive trucks. The mechanical-drive models could also be equipped with trailers, giving capacities of up to 120 tons. Another interesting truck from Dart is the 85-ton Model 2080, claimed as the world's largest tandem axle mechanical-drive hauler. On January 25, 1972, Pacific Car and Foundry changed its name to Paccar, Incorporated. Caterpillar was going to let the larger mining hauler market be serviced by manufacturers such as KW-Dan, Euclid. Unit Rig, and WABCO But this was only to be a temporary situation for the company. As the 769 and 773 hauler product lines began to dominate their respective size classes in the industry. Caterpillar set its sights on the next most popular tonnage class—the 85-ton-capacity off-highway hauler In 1974, Caterpillar introduced what would be one of its most popular off-highway haulers, the 777. The Cat 777 filled the void in the hauler product line left vacant after the termination of the diesel-electric-drive 779 program. The 777 was powered by an 870-flywheel-hofsepower diesel engine, mated to a seven-speed fully automatic transmission. Other niceties included oil-cooled brakes and an all-new ROPS cab. The 777 would also be the first Cat hauler to be released with the squared-off front-end treatment. This design approach has proven so well thought out that it is still the basis for the look of all Cat haulers today. With its 85-ton capacity and modern design, the 777 quickly achieved what it set out to do— give the customer a superior hauler with unmatched productivity for its size class. In so doing, it became the dominant force in the 85-to-100-ton- capacity hauler class and became an industry standard for years to come. The 774 Rear Dump Truck was the largest two-axle haul truck developed In Caterpillar when thee prototype hegan testing at the Cleveland Cliffs lron Company*s Republic Mine, near Marquette. Michigan. It targeted a 75-ton capacity and was aimed at hard rock mining customers. Ralph R. Kress, the former manager of truck development tor LeTourneau Westinghouse, and designer of the first Haulpak truck, led development of this diesel-electric-drive truck. The Cat D34H V-12 diesel engine was rated at 960l flywheel-horsepower and (he Cat-designed electric-drive system supplied direct current to two traction motors mounted in the rearr axle, one for each drive wheel. Introduced in 1980, it was popular for hauling coal in the Appalachians, and is still available today as the Model 2085. After changing hands many times since its inception, Dart was acquired in 1984 by Unit Rig & Equipment Company of Tulsa. Oklalioma. 1984 Due to slowing sales of mining equipment, Paccar sold the Dart line of trucks to Unit Rig and Equipment during the first quarter of 1984. April 1984 In April 1984 Unit Rig purchased the Dart product line of wheel loaders and mechanical drive haulage trucks. The Dart range of vehicles included the model 600C mechanical drive front end loader which has a 48,000 pound bucket capacity and end dump trucks ranging in capacity from 85 to 120 tons. The Dart line also included tractor trailer bottom dump coal haulers with capacities from 120 to 160 tons. 1988 In 1988 the Unit Rig company was sold to Terex Corporation, and became part of the Terex Mining Equipment Company subsidiary. Dart products have continued as a separate line, but are now built only to order In 2010 Bucyrus International bought the Terex Mining Equipment Company from Terex Corporation. Компания Caterpillar покупает Bucyrus International в 2011 г.

Внедорожные траспортные средства
(Land Locomotion – Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM)
The Contact telephone: 8-903-110-70-97 - Anatily Petrovich
Cайт информационный, некоммерческий.
(На странице "commerc" размещены ссылки на отечественные коммерческие сайты)
Сайт постоянно редактируется. Замечания можно отправлять на E-mail: ap-fedosov@newmail.ru.
Home