Csepel Engineering Works near Budapest began truck production in 1950 with a bonneted 3-tonner based on a design from Steyr Daimler Puch of Austria. Much of Csepel's productidn was for export. The company developed all-wheel drive trucks of 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 configuration. At first Csepell built their own diesel engines but went on to buy in engines from Raba for their heavier trucks. In thr late 1970s the company became Csepell Autogvar. The trucks were exported to Asia and Atrica under the Mogurt name. Some medium-weight Csepells featured the Chausson forward control cab as fitted to Star trucks in Poland. The company still markets a full range of medium-weight trucks and buses.
In 1944 the Steyr 380 truck was designed in Austria, licensing Csepel lorries and engines. Production of the MAVAG and the RABA lorries stopped after nationalization in 1946. In 1947 Hungary bought the licence for the Steyr 380 lorry, D413 and D613 engines from the USSR. At this time the Soviets occupied the Eastern part of Austria.
In 1949 an automobile factory was established in the NIK (Nehez Ipari Kozpont—en: Heavy Industry Center) at the earlier Dunai Repulogepgyar—en: Danube Aircraft Factory place at Szigethalom. The first Csepel (NIK) engine was ready on 7 November.
The first director of the factory was Ferencne Biro. She was a mechanical engineer and had studied in Moscow, sister-in-law of Matyas Rakosi.
The first 3 Csepel D-350 was ready on 3 April 1950 . The D350 and B350 types were produced between 1950 and 1958. The B-130 4x4 rover pickup lorry began production in 1949. The prototypes were made in Gyor and Ikarus. It won a lorry race in Poland in 1950.
During 1968-1975 the evolution of Comecon (Council for Mutual Economic Assistance) changed the way Csepel operated. Csepel began shipping the undercarriage of the Ikarus to other factories for completion. Labor-MIM in Esztergom and later the Polish Jelcz & Star performed the final assembly.
In 1968 the Csepel started a new generation of RABA lorries incorporating the MAN engine (licensed).
In 1975 the Csepel stopped engine production entirely, instead using the RABA engine.
From 1976-1980 the factory built 1000 Volvo C202 Laplanders.
In 1996 Csepel went bankrupt because Ikarus had not paid for the transported undercarriages, having not been paid by its own customers.
In 2007 a D344 EZF lorry arrived with success on the Budapest-Bamako Rally in the touring category.
In 2009 a D420 fire-engine body built on a D344 undercarriage lorry arrived with success on the Budapest-Bamako Rally in the touring category.
The Defense Department officials are 1.3 and 3.5 ton all-terrain cars they want; the Ministry called for the establishment of a new tractor.
The Center found that Heavy foreign buying to ensure these needs can be met quickly.
Three side of the factory:
Graf & Stift,
|Âíåäîðîæíûå òðàñïîðòíûå ñðåäñòâà (Land Locomotion – Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home|