COLEMAN (Coleman Motor Company, Littleton, CO,American-Coleman)

Alfred E. Coleman lived in Denver and served as president of the Coleman Motor Company. (died on June 9, 1930) George Coleman passed away on July 7, 1945 and his stock was sold to George Meffley, a Littleton resident living on Bowles Avenue. Operations continued, possibly due to the continuity provided by Harleigh Holmes. Wartime contracts in the 1940s gave them the chance to expand the plant and build new specialized vehicles. One design called for a special truck on which a crane was mounted, to be used by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Several hundred of these were built. The company also marketed kits for converting two-wheel drive trucks into four-wheel drive and even six-wheel drive. The "Coleman Conversion Kit" became quite successful.

Coleman being tested by Artillery Brunch in 1925. Regardless, Art Herrington was so very impressed with the Coleman test results, he then made fairly frequent visits to Coleman Motors in Littleton, Colorado to consult with Harleigh R. Holmes, inventor and patent-holder of the "Holmes Drive System" (aka "Holmes Front Drive"), the proprietary 4x4 axle of a Coleman truck.

Coleman C25 4x4

Компания Coleman была в числе первых изготовителей полноприводных грузовых автомобилей.
Образовалась в результате приобретения братьями E.Coleman (Alfred и George -братья разбогатели в начале 1900-х годов на серебряных, цинковых рудниках в Оклахоме) в 1922 году 51% акций корпорации Plains Motor Corporation, где работал Harleigh Randall Holms .
Harleigh Holms ("Harl") занимал руководящее место в компании и в то же время подотворно трудился создавая многочисленные конструкции полноприводных транспортных средств.

George интересовался гонками и "Hqrl" много конструировал и патентовал и в этой области .

Фирма стала выпускать полноприводные грузовики собственной конструкции, внедорожные свойства которых требовал окружающий холмистый, практически без дорог, ландшафт.
Практические дела, а именно: спасение шахтеров в метель, буксировка застрявших грузовиков, выигрыш буксирной войны с трактором Caterpillar, - принесли свои плоды.
Фирму, выпускающие такие машины, заметило военное ведомство.
Были проведены совместно с военными испытания и Coleman стал поставлять в американские вооруженные силы многоцелевые тягачи.
Первым армейским автомобилем, разработанным в 1926 г., был 1,5-тонный грузовик-тягач С25 4x4.

Фирма также приобрела авторитет в области производства снегоочистительного оборудования, трансмиссионных валов и раздаточных коробок, выполняя военные и правительственные заказы, являясь также поставщиком других предприятий, собирающих грузовую автотехнику.
Alfred умер в июне 9, 1930, наследников у него не было и дела перешли племяннику - George Lewis Coleman.

Модернизированные ведущие и управляемые мосты "Коулмэн" с колесными шестеренчатыми редукторами поставлялись фирмам "Уолтер" (Walter) и "Фримэн" (Freeman), а также использовались компанией "Форд" (Ford) для создания первых полноприводных версий пикапов.
Кристи (Christie) также использовал мосты "Коулмэн".(http://www.litmir.net/br/?b=156154&p=12)

George Coleman скончался 7 июля 1945, и его дела перешли к George Meffley, (Littleton living on Bowles Avenue).
Производство продолжались, возможно благодаря деятельности Harleigh Holms, который находил заказы.
Военные контракты в 1940-ых дали шанс расширить завод и строить новые специализированные транспортные средства.
В частности, был выполнен заказ на поставку к специального грузовика, на котором был установлен подъемный кран, использовавшийся в инженерных войсках .

В 1948 Coleman Motor слилась с American Road Equipment Company с оффисом в Omaha, Nebraska. Название было изменено на American-Coleman.
Harleigh Holmes (он умер 26 июля 1963) все еще имел большую долю в образованной компании.
В новом совете директоров были - Howard Agee, William Ramsey and E.L. Martin, (Omaha), и поверенный в Phillip Van Cise.
Завод в Littleton продолжал строить транспортные средства под названием Coleman Motor.
Фирма долго еще оставалась в числе проверенных поставщиков транспортных средств для Армии США.

Coleman Ford Model F-1

GMC 722 Coleman

International Coleman conversion

This 1950's REO dump truck was fitted with Coleman FWD

Dodge 4x4 plow-truck Coleman

Chevrolet 4100 4x4 by Coleman 1956

Mack HOWE-Coleman 6x6 B426SX















Mack Howe-Coleman

Chevy Howe-Coleman

Coleman HOWE Chevrolet 4x4 Trucks

Coleman-Ford FWD Truck

Howe Brothers Coleman Truck


















1956-f100-coleman. 1956 Ford converted 4x4 pickup.
American Coleman converted truck. American Coleman converted trucks starting in 1937 In what is now Littleton Colorado. They specialized in converting trucks into 4x4 trucks for the mining, military, and fire response industry. Most of the trucks converted were 1.5 ton and larger trucks, but in the odd occasion that they built a smaller truck, they used the same front end components as the bigger units.

The company also marketed kits for converting two-wheel drive trucks into four-wheel drive and even six-wheel drive. The "Coleman Conversion Kit" became quite successful.

Howe-Coleman Patent

Coleman axle























Aircraft Tug Coleman CF-55AF 4x4 1965.
В начале 50-х гг. военные тягачи для буксировки бомбардировщиков В36 и баллистических ракет "Минитмэн" (Minuteman). Это была модель CF-55AF (4x4) со 125-сильным мотором "Буда", гидромеханической коробкой передач, всеми ведущими и управляемыми колесами, 4-дверной цельнометаллической кабиной от грузовиков "Джи-Эм-Си" (GMC) и 30-тонной лебедкой

CF-55AF (4x4)/G-55. Reorganization of 1948 led to new product, the aircraft towing tractor. Tests conducted in 1949 at Carswell Air Force Base proved extremely successful and American-Coleman received a contract for 49 tractors. In 1950, another contract for 73 tractors was received, and in 1951, a contract for 495 tractors was awarded. By 1952, American-Coleman employed 460 people and was a household name in Littleton.Coleman CF-55-AF Tug also built by Federal F-55-AF was a license built version Built by two American companies Federal (F-55-AF) and Coleman (CF-55-AF) these tugs were made up of two GM cabs welded together, had 4-wheel steering and were powered by a Buda LO-525 6cyl engine producing 125bhp.

American Coleman.
До последних лет существования фирмы аэродромные тягачи оставались ее главной продукцией. В 60-е гг. она выпускала модель U18 (4x4) с двигателем "Крайслер" (Chrysler) V8 для буксировки самолетов массой до 227 т. Последним в 80-е гг. стал малый 93-сильный аэродромный тягач МВ-4 с тяговым усилием 45 тс.

Coleman MB4 Aircraft Tug

HARLEIGH HOLMES AND THE COLEMAN MOTOR COMPANY
http://www.littletongov.org/history/othertopics/coleman.asp

Not long ago in Littleton's past, the name Harleigh Holmes was instantly recognizable, and his company, the Coleman Motor Company, stood as the most successful business in the area. The great success of the company was due to the inventive genius of Harleigh Holmes, and the efforts of everyone in the company to produce the very best, most reliable products. Possibly the first truck made by the Holmes Motor Co., c. 1920. Photo looks east from the South Platte River with the Carnegie Library in the background.
Holmes' family had moved to Colorado from Kansas when he was six, in 1886, but soon moved to Ogden, Utah. When Harleigh was in high school, the family moved back to Colorado and he finished his schooling in Denver. He then began working with irrigation equipment in Huerfano County and on the western slope of Colorado. He met and married Katherine Sievers of Carbondale in 1917. They had four children: Dorothy, Harleigh, Lee and Helen Louise. For several years they lived at the corner of Rapp Street and Alamo in Littleton. This had been the location in the pioneer days of an outdoor platform where the local politicians would speak. In 1937 they bought the Richard Little house three doors down the block and restored it, adding extra bedrooms in the attic. The Little-Holmes house had 15 rooms, two baths and a two-car garage.
During the years 1915-1920 Harleigh Holmes, while working in Carbondale, Colorado, had an idea for a new kind of vehicle mechanism-four-wheel drive. Cars and trucks had only been around for about 20 years in 1916. Holmes had the foresight to patent his ideas for a four-wheel drive and a front-wheel drive, and he founded Holmes Motor Company in Littleton to build four-wheel drive trucks.
It did not take long before the reputation of the truck began to grow. In April 1921, a heavy snow caused problems for those living in the foothills near Littleton. One man, trapped about three miles into Deer Creek Canyon, was in dire circumstances due to the cold. No one could get to him. Harleigh Holmes heard of the man's plight and decided to help. He and eight of his employees drove a Holmes truck up Deer Creek Canyon, plowing through several four-foot drifts of snow on a vertical incline. They left the road and broke new ground to reach the trapped man, then turned around and brought him out, without any trouble.
Also in 1921, Holmes obtained a loan from Plains Iron Works of Denver. The name of the motor company was changed to Plains Motor Corporation and operations were moved to Denver. The Holmes truck was re-named the Plains four-wheel drive truck. By the summer of 1921, the company had diversified into offering the Holmes system for Fords, converting the Ford trucks into four-wheel drive vehicles. This was a lucrative step for Holmes. Discussions with N.S. Clark of Vancouver, Canada produced an order for 500 Holmes systems and Mr. Clark purchased the Canadian patent rights to the four-wheel drive system. Demonstrations at the Platte River in September, 1921 showed that the Holmes system fitted to a Ford could navigate through deep sand and water hauling a load, while similar vehicles quickly became mired.
In 1922, wealthy miners Alfred E. Coleman and his brother George bought 51% of the Plains Motor Corporation and Harleigh Holmes moved the plant back to Littleton. The Colemans also bought the creamery building on South Nevada Street in Littleton for the new vehicle operations. Holmes retained a senior position in the new company.
The Coleman brothers from Illinois had struck it rich in the lead-zinc-silver mining district of eastern Oklahoma in the early 1900s. They soon built up a fine cattle ranch, named the C-T, and George financed several businesses in their town of Miami, Oklahoma. George and Alfred remained close, and when Alfred's health began to fail, George arranged the move to Colorado for their families. From 1909 to 1920, Alfred Coleman lived in Rocky Ford, Colorado for his asthma. In 1920, he moved to Denver where he remained.
George Coleman married Jessie Carr in 1911; at age 26, she was half his age. Alfred married Burnettie Brundage in 1912, but she passed away four years later. Alfred remarried in 1917 to Pearl Silverman. Five years later, Pearl contracted appendicitis and died.
About thirty men were employed in the Coleman plant in the 1920s. Harleigh Holmes utilized an innovative form of marketing the trucks, called Holmes Trucks in 1924. He simply demonstrated how well the trucks worked. Often he would stop to pull someone out of the mud or snow. His employees were instructed to do the same, and the reputation of the trucks became known throughout the area. One anecdote reported by the Littleton Independent (March 14, 1924) told of a Pierce Arrow truck fully loaded with groceries that had become mired in the mud. A Holmes truck returning from Denver loaded with 3 tons of material stopped to help. Without unloading, the driver of the Holmes hooked the two trucks together and the Holmes pulled out the Pierce Arrow "with little effort.
The president of the company, Alfred E. Coleman, found that the reputation of the trucks was enough marketing. However, he did continue a standing wager begun by Holmes:
We will give to the owner of any truck $5000 in cash, providing his truck will equal the performance of the Holmes Truck, and to the owner of any rear-driven truck we will give $5000 in cash providing his truck, with no load, will equal the performance of the Holmes Truck with a load of three tons.
The Littleton Independent wrote several articles about the contests, even including photographs at times. On one occasion, a Holmes truck out-pulled a bulldozer. No truck ever won the bet.
Holmes began touring mining and lumber camps to demonstrate the trucks produced by the Coleman plant, and of course, accepting orders to build new ones. The Littleton Independent (July 18, 1924) noted, "Motor men are frankly stating now, that it will not be long until the Coleman Motor Works will be one of the greatest motor producing plants in the United States.
In March 1925, Calvin Coolidge was re-elected as President of the United States. Traditionally, important and influential people were asked to attend the inauguration in Washington D.C., and on this occasion, Harleigh Holmes and his wife received invitations. They rode by train across the country, and while they were in Washington, Harleigh spoke at the capitol about the possibility of the Coleman trucks being used by the federal government.
Littleton Fire Department's 1925 pumper, probably one of the first vehicles Coleman Company sold for money. The truck was altered from its original design; the nose was welded in from an old chasis. It was later given to the Street Department which installed a cab and a shovel or crane.
In July of 1925, Coleman completed an order for a fire truck for the Littleton Fire Department. The water from the pump on the fire truck sprayed water eighty feet high, twice as effective as the old fire truck. The Coleman fire truck could attain a speed of 40 mph and could maneuver through two feet of snow or 18 inches of mud. Perhaps most impressive of all, it was able to climb a 50% grade with full equipment and men. The new fire truck was placed on display at the State Fireman's convention in Denver. Public donations helped to finance the truck for the town of Littleton.
The U.S. Army purchased a Coleman truck in April, 1927 for use hauling an anti-aircraft gun for tests. The Littleton Independent boasted that the Washington Post printed an impressive article about the Coleman truck purchase.
George Coleman experienced a difficult time in 1928, when he was blackmailed. While at his Oklahoma estate, he received a letter from someone threatening to blow up Coleman's house unless $4,500 was placed in a certain spot. An irate George refused to pay. A few days later the blackmailer wrote George again, saying he would take George's son if he did not pay. George still refused. A third letter stated he would shoot Coleman if the money was not delivered. George Coleman had run out of patience. He and the police arranged a trap for the blackmailer. A parcel was placed where the blackmailer dictated and the sheriff waited. Finally, two boys approached the area. When they saw the sheriff, they ran but were apprehended later. The older boy received four years in prison and the younger boy was released due to his youth.
Alfred E. Coleman lived in Denver and served as president of the Coleman Motor Company. He was involved in the daily operations of the plant, making the drive from his Denver home to Littleton every day and he was interested in the town of Littleton. In 1928, he became very sick with heart trouble. He died on June 9, 1930. Alfred had no children and left his fortune to his nephew, George Lewis Coleman.
Harleigh Holmes continued to develop new products for the Coleman company. In 1926, a new four-wheel drive truck was added to the inventory. It was half the size of the 5-ton model but otherwise was very similar, even to the famous Holmes hubs on the wheels. Holmes stated he thought the little truck would out-perform the "big job (5-ton truck). On a test at Ruby Hill in Denver, the small truck took a load of 2-1/2 tons up the face of the hill with ease.
In March, 1928, an amazing demonstration took place on Main Street, Littleton — a tug-of-war between a 5-ton Coleman truck and a 10-ton Caterpillar tractor. The Coleman was laden with 12,000 lbs of concrete blocks, while the tractor weighed 20,000 lbs. Even with the weight handicap, and giving the tractor a 15 ft. head start, the Coleman truck won the event. Many influential members of the community cheered on the hometown vehicle. Apart from the outstanding performances achieved in the Coleman trucks, they required little maintenance and rarely broke down.
Colorado's mountain passes suffered from frequent blockages due to snowfalls. An engineer from the state highway department had developed a rotary snowplow, the first of its kind, to clear the snow, but the highway department could not find a truck that could push the plow through the snow on winding roads, until they tried the Coleman truck. A rotary plow with an auxiliary motor was fitted on a 5-ton Coleman in April, 1928 and then driven to Berthoud Pass. The truck and plow cleared a channel through four feet of snow, making 1/2 mile per hour. The Coleman returned a few days later to finish clearing the pass. Another five ton Coleman equipped with a rotary plow opened Berthoud Pass for the summer, 1929. By 1929, other uses had been found for Coleman trucks. A five-ton Coleman fitted with a Sargent snowplow could easily remove snow from Littleton's streets. In a demonstration, this same Coleman and plow backfilled a long trench dug by Public Service Company twice as fast as a traditional tractor. Joe Unser stands next to the car he drove in the Pike's Peak Race, c. 1929.
In the late 1920s, George Coleman became interested in racecars and developed a front wheel drive racecar at the Littleton plant. In 1929, the Pikes Peak Hill Climb featured the first three of these cars. They were driven by the three Unser brothers from New Mexico and Colorado Springs: Louis, Jerry and Joe. The next year, two Coleman racecars were entered in the Indianapolis 500. This popular race originated in France in 1894, and was first held at Indianapolis in 1911. Joe Unser and Lou Moore were selected to drive the Coleman cars. While out for a practice drive on US 85 south of Littleton, on February 20, 1930, Joe Unser apparently lost control of his car while passing a slower vehicle and skidded down an embankment. Unser was taken to the hospital and died a few hours later.
Lou Moore of Los Angeles worked with Coleman's engineers to perfect the racecars' design. Phil Shafer drove a Coleman racecar to a seventh place finish at Indianapolis in 1930. Another racecar was entered in the 1931 Indy, but after qualifying at 108 mph, had to be withdrawn because of clutch troubles. That car was equipped with not one but two motors, which provided nearly unmanageable power. For the 1932 Indy, Holmes designed a four-wheel drive car, still with two engines. A Denver man named Merzney was picked to drive it, but the car was wrecked before the race started.
The Coleman Motor Company also began making passenger cars in about 1929. The first of these was affectionately called the "Blue Goose and used front wheel drive. A Model A Ford engine was used, with a transmission set ahead of the axle. The Blue Goose sold for about $1000. An advantage of these cars, said Holmes, was that they could be built lower to the ground than rear wheel drive vehicles without sacrificing headroom or vehicle clearance. The passenger cars had four-wheel brakes. This was one of the first cars with the body as wide as the outside of the tires. The front of the cars had rounded projecting noses and the wheelbase was 108 inches.
The second experimental car called the Maroon Car was built in 1932. It was unique in that the V-8 engine was mounted in the back, but it still had front-wheel drive. Holmes could accomplish amazing things. At the end of 1932, the White Car was built. This was the first of the "arched-axle series in which the front axle was not straight but arched over the engine as in an inverted U." In this case, the engine could be set lower to the ground, thus lowering the center of gravity of the vehicle. The Brown Car had the arched front-wheel drive axle, but had more conventional lines than the White Car. Holmes last car model was called the Custom. It had a slightly smaller body with a larger Ford V-8 engine. The detailing was more intricate, and it was Holmes' favorite. The only problem was keeping the wheels aligned because of the arched axle. Holmes always knew the cars were not meant to make money, but from these models, he patented axles, frames and other engineering features with an eye toward selling them. Red Shafer shown driving the Coleman race car that placed 7th in the Indianapolis 500 in 1930.
Coleman Motors worked in partnership with Ford Motor Company to develop a standard Ford truck that had a Coleman front wheel drive and an auxiliary transmission. The U. S. War Department had requested new types of specialized trucks, and in September 1929, just one month before the stock market crash, the first specialized Coleman truck was tested on Ruby Hill in Denver. With an army representative looking on, the truck successfully climbed a steep hill carrying a 3500 lb. load from a standing start. This truck also drove through sand that was "hub deep without effort. The truck was sent to an army camp outside of Baltimore, and others were delivered to the army.
The Coleman Motor Company received an army contract to assemble 720 ten-ton trailers in March, 1944. The trailers were for heavy duty use, able to transport light tanks. They were painted olive, and stood 53 inches high from the ground to the floor and 4 feet from the floor to the top of the sideboards. Many soldiers returning from World War II stopped in at the Coleman plant and related their amazing experiences in the four-wheel drive trucks.
George Coleman passed away on July 7, 1945 and his stock was sold to George Meffley, a Littleton resident living on Bowles Avenue. Operations continued, possibly due to the continuity provided by Harleigh Holmes. Wartime contracts in the 1940s gave them the chance to expand the plant and build new specialized vehicles. One design called for a special truck on which a crane was mounted, to be used by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Several hundred of these were built. The company also marketed kits for converting two-wheel drive trucks into four-wheel drive and even six-wheel drive. The "Coleman Conversion Kit" became quite successful.
In 1948, Coleman Motor Company merged with American Road Equipment Company and a head office in Omaha, Nebraska was established. The name was changed to American- Coleman. Meffley's stock was acquired by the new firm, but Harleigh Holmes still owned a large share of the company. The new board of directors was Howard Agee, William Ramsey and E.L. Martin, all from Omaha, and a Denver attorney, Phillip Van Cise. The Littleton plant continued to build vehicles under the name of Coleman Motors.
This reorganization led to another new product, the aircraft towing tractor. Tests conducted in 1949 at Carswell Air Force Base proved extremely successful and American-Coleman received a contract for 49 tractors. In 1950, another contract for 73 tractors was received, and in 1951, a contract for 495 tractors was awarded. By 1952, American-Coleman employed 460 people and was a household name in Littleton.
On July 26, 1963, Harleigh Holmes passed away. He had been on a ranch tour earlier in the day. He died in his sleep.
More stock buyouts continued over the years, as the Holmes family sold to E.L. Martin and his partner, B.I. Noble. Then, Noble sold his shares to Martin; by 1965, E.L. Martin and his wife held 99% of the stock. Three years later, the Kansas City Southern Industries, Inc. purchased the assets of American-Coleman.
The Littleton plant continued to produce aircraft tractors and axles. In 1981, American-Coleman branched out again, producing the SENTRY Power Dispatch. This was a fuel saving device for diesel electric locomotives.
In 1981, the Holmes family house on Rapp Street was owned by the four children of Harleigh and Kate. The family decided to sell it to a buyer who wanted to use it as office space. The house today stands as one of Littleton's designated landmarks.
A few years later in 1987, the American-Coleman facility in Littleton closed down. Employment had dropped to about 21. Vice President and General Manager Joseph E. McElroy handled the shutdown. The plant building, owned by a local developer, was in foreclosure and was eventually sold. The equipment was moved to Kansas City, the parent company home. A proud history of innovative truck design had come to an end.

COLEMAN — Littleton, Colorado — (1930-1935). В Начале 20-го века, Harleigh Holmes знал, какого рода грузовика был необходим в малонаселенной, практически без дорог местности плато Колорадо. Полный привод был известен , но не были широко распространен.
Многие из этих ранних 4x4 (“4-by”) конструкций были плохо подготовлены для уклонов и холмов.
Холмс предложил новую идею для передней оси и получил заявку на патент в 1919 году.
В 1921 году у Холмса был рабочий прототип, который имел неплохую репутацию в своей округе (в городе Литтлтон, штат Колорадо). У Harleigh Holmes было достаточно предложений, чтобы сформировать компанию.
В связи с дефицитом денежных средств для роста и развития, Harleigh Holmes скооперировался с Pains Iron Works in Denver в Денвере и через некоторое время построил свои грузовики.
Часть его работы включали разработку комплекта переоборудования привода на четыре колеса для Форд грузовиков и 500 ед заказ от канадской дистрибьютора.
В 1922 году братья Альфред и Джордж Coleman купили 51 процентов Pains Iron Works, перевели производство грузовых автомобилей в Литтлтон и переименовали компанию Coleman Motors.
На местном уровне дело пошло, когда стало очевидно, что Colemans сделал превосходный снегоочиститель.
Лучшей рекламой для Холмс были практические дела, а именно:
спасение шахтеров в метель,
буксировка застрявших грузовиков,
выигрыш буксирной войны с трактором Caterpillar.
В качестве рекламы предлагалось вознагражденией $ 5000 за любой грузовик, который мог бы превысить Coleman 4x4 по внедорожным качествам.
Следующий случай, произошедший в 1924 году, привлек внимание Артиллерийского ведомства.
Горнодобывающая компания должна была доставить тяжелое оборудование в удаленную шахту.
22-лошадиный экипаж попытался и не смог доставить его в нужное место.
У конструкций других производителей были проблемы на маршруте даже с обычными нагрузками и они явно не могли справиться с поставленной задачей.
Грузовик Coleman был нагружен 5,5 тонн в кузове и буксировал 8,5 тонн на санках построенных из бревен.
Необходимо было отбуксировать 14 тонн из 7450 футов в район Айдахо-Спрингс, в шахту на 10 840 футов.
Были участки дороги, где обычный автомобиль не был в состоянии проехать ни при каких обстоятельствах а Coleman сделал это с нагрузкой 14 тонн.
В 1925 году Артиллерийское ведомство проверяло 5-тонный Coleman против их стандартного грузовика 4x4, Militor M1918 TTL.
Militor была разработана в качестве стандартного военного 3-тонного 4x4 транспортного средства.
Его появление связано с окончанием Первой мировой войны, в связи с чем производство остановилось после постройки около 150 грузовиков.
Они были построены из стандартных компонентов, но отличались от обычных 4x4 наличием пониженной передачи.
Coleman отличался наличием двухскоростной раздаточной коробки, по тем временам новая функция, который дала ему соотношение 140:1 обхода, против 74:1 для Militor,и 35:1 для армейских грузовиков FWD модели “B” и 40:1 для немногих армейских Nash Quads находившихся еще в обслуживании.
Артиллерйское ведомство было особенно заинтересован в Coleman в качестве среднего тягача для замены тихоходного гусеничного транспорта.
Coleman сочетал большое тяговое усилие с максимальной скоростью 22 миль в час что было недостижимо для тяжелых грузовиков той эпохи.
Coleman соревновался с более известным FWD брендом, и другими м марками, в борьбе за заказы в 20-х и 30-х годы.
Coleman не был в состоянии обогнать по продажам крупные компании до и, особенно, после Второй мировой войны.
Тем не менее, Coleman имел долгую историю строительства больших полноприводных грузовиков для военных и коммерческих учреждений, производства конверсионные комплекты 4x4 ("Coleman Conversion Kit") для грузовиков разных служб в 40-е и 50-е годы.
История закончилась в 1986 году.
Harleigh Holmes, является основным акционером компании до конца трудовой жизни в должности руководителя, до 1963 ему было 84.
Его многие изобретения продолжают жить в разных формах.


Перевод статьи "Jim Allen., Coleman The Mile-Hi Rour-By" Из Журнала "Off-Road Adventures.., JANUARY 2009"

During the years 1915-1920 Harleigh Holmes, while working in Carbondale, Colorado, had an idea for a new kind of vehicle mechanism-four-wheel drive. Cars and trucks had only been around for about 20 years in 1916. Holmes had the foresight to patent his ideas for a four-wheel drive and a front-wheel drive, and he founded Holmes Motor Company in Littleton to build four-wheel drive trucks.
In July of 1925, Coleman completed an order for a fire truck for the Littleton Fire Department. The water from the pump on the fire truck sprayed water eighty feet high, twice as effective as the old fire truck. The Coleman fire truck could attain a speed of 40 mph and could maneuver through two feet of snow or 18 inches of mud. Perhaps most impressive of all, it was able to climb a 50% grade with full equipment and men. The new fire truck was placed on display at the State Fireman's convention in Denver. Public donations helped to finance the truck for the town of Littleton.
The U.S. Army purchased a Coleman truck in April, 1927 for use hauling an anti-aircraft gun for tests. The Littleton Independent boasted that the Washington Post printed an impressive article about the Coleman truck purchase.
In March, 1928, an amazing demonstration took place on Main Street, Littleton--a tug-of-war between a 5-ton Coleman truck and a 10-ton Caterpillar tractor. The Coleman was laden with 12,000 lbs of concrete blocks, while the tractor weighed 20,000 lbs. Even with the weight handicap, and giving the tractor a 15 ft. head start, the Coleman truck won the event. Many influential members of the community cheered on the hometown vehicle. Apart from the outstanding performances achieved in the Coleman trucks, they required little maintenance and rarely broke down.
Colorado's mountain passes suffered from frequent blockages due to snowfalls. An engineer from the state highway department had developed a rotary snowplow, the first of its kind, to clear the snow, but the highway department could not find a truck that could push the plow through the snow on winding roads, until they tried the Coleman truck. A rotary plow with an auxiliary motor was fitted on a 5-ton Coleman in April, 1928 and then driven to Berthoud Pass. The truck and plow cleared a channel through four feet of snow, making y mile per hour. The Coleman returned a few days later to finish clearing the pass. Another five ton Coleman equipped with a rotary plow opened Berthoud Pass for the summer, 1929.
By 1929, other uses had been found for Coleman trucks. A five-ton Coleman fitted with a Sargent snowplow could easily remove snow from Littleton's streets. In a demonstration, this same Coleman and plow backfilled a long trench dug by Public Service Company twice as fast as a traditional tractor.
Coleman Motors worked in partnership with Ford Motor Company to develop a standard Ford truck that had a Coleman front wheel drive and an auxiliary transmission. The U. S. War Department had requested new types of specialized trucks, and in September 1929, just one month before the stock market crash, the first specialized Coleman truck was tested on Ruby Hill in Denver. With an army representative looking on, the truck successfully climbed a steep hill carrying a 3500 lb. load from a standing start. This truck also drove through sand that was "hub deep without effort. The truck was sent to an army camp outside of Baltimore, and others were delivered to the army.
The Coleman Motor Company received an army contract to assemble 720 ten-ton trailers in March, 1944. The trailers were for heavy duty use, able to transport light tanks. They were painted olive, and stood 53 inches high from the ground to the floor and 4 feet from the floor to the top of the sideboards. Many soldiers returning from World War II stopped in at the Coleman plant and related their amazing experiences in the four-wheel drive trucks.
George Coleman passed away on July 7, 1945 and his stock was sold to George Meffley, a Littleton resident living on Bowles Avenue. Operations continued, possibly due to the continuity provided by Harleigh Holmes. Wartime contracts in the 1940s gave them the chance to expand the plant and build new specialized vehicles. One design called for a special truck on which a crane was mounted, to be used by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Several hundred of these were built. The company also marketed kits for converting two-wheel drive trucks into four-wheel drive and even six-wheel drive. The "Coleman Conversion Kit" became quite successful.
Coleman got into the light-truck business in 1947 by converting Chevy trucks to four-wheel drive.
In 1948, Coleman Motor Company merged with American Road Equipment Company and a head office in Omaha, Nebraska was established. The name was changed to American- Coleman. Meffley's stock was acquired by the new firm, but Harleigh Holmes still owned a large share of the company. The new board of directors was Howard Agee, William Ramsey and E.L. Martin, all from Omaha, and a Denver attorney, Phillip Van Cise. The Littleton plant continued to build vehicles under the name of Coleman Motors.
This reorganization led to another new product, the aircraft towing tractor. Tests conducted in 1949 at Carswell Air Force Base proved extremely successful and American-Coleman received a contract for 49 tractors. In 1950, another contract for 73 tractors was received, and in 1951, a contract for 495 tractors was awarded. By 1952, American-Coleman employed 460 people and was a household name in Littleton.
On July 26, 1963, Harleigh Holmes passed away. A few years later in 1987, the AmericanoColeman facility in Littleton closed down. Employment had dropped to about 21. Vice President and General Manager Joseph E. McElroy handled the shutdown. The plant building, owned by a local developer, was in foreclosure and was eventually sold. The equipment was moved to Kansas City, the parent company home. A proud history of innovative truck design had come to an end.
In 1959, for the first time in Ford history, a light-duty truck buyer could buy a factory-built 4x4 Ford truck. Previously, Ford trucks had been converted to four-wheel drive by outside manufacturers such as Marmon-Herrington, Napco, or American-Coleman.
"In the heyday of 4x4 conversions, Chevy and GMC trucks were among the most popular candidates because of their straightforward and durable designs. Northwestern Auto Parts Company (better known as NAPCO) ) was most famous for Chevy conversions, but the American Coleman Company of Littleton, Colorado, did a number of GM trucks starting in about 1947, predating Napco's first efforts by three years.
The American Coleman Company, founded in 1922, specialized in big (mostly 2-ton-and-larger) all-wheel drives. The pivot point of these designs was a beefy steerable front axle designed by Coleman engineer Harley Holmes. This axle became the Coleman trademark, and the design was manufactured in three sizes into the 1960s.
The axle is unique because, instead of using a U-joint or CV-joint, the hub was designed to pivot around a solid axle. In essence, the hub was a giant CV-joint. This axle was a marvel in its early days, but by the late 1930s, its complicated design had been overshadowed by simpler, more mechanic-friendly setups. Still, Coleman remained committed to the "old standard,'' and it continued to sell.
After World War II, Coleman entered the light-duty 4x4 conversion market, adapting a number of Chevy, GMC, Ford and Dodge trucks to 4x4 configuration using its "lightest-capacity'' axle-rated for a1 1/2-ton truck. Coleman continued converting small numbers of trucks through the mid-'50s. By that time, truck manufacturers were beginning to build 4x4s in their own factories, and no Coleman conversions past 1956 are known to exist.
Coleman continued building big trucks into the '70s, and finally shut its doors in 1986. A former partner in the conversion business, Howe Brothers (Howe Brothers Inc) of Troy, New York, continued to manufacture a modified version of the Coleman axle, called the Howe-Coleman axle, until quite recently. Howe remains in business and still carries parts suitable to repair Colemans.
The truck featured here belongs to Glenn Victor of Moab, Utah. He acquired the 1953 Chevrolet 3600 in the 1960s as surplus from the Atomic Energy Commission. Used as a survey vehicle, it saw service in the "Uranium Rush'' of the 1950s. Victor used it as a "hack'' for many years in the Moab area, but had it restored a few years ago in honor of its long service.
Coleman trucks are extremely rare, and while some Coleman parts can be difficult to obtain, in the case of this Chevy, a wide variety of GM parts are available for restoration."
-Источник-"http://www.fourwheeler.com/departments/legacy/129_9804_april_1998_rare_rigs/index.html"

COLEMAN — Littleton, Colorado — (1930-1935)
The cars were designed by Harleigh Holmes; they were paid for by George L. Coleman. Having patented a steerable driving axle in 1919, Holmes had established the Four Wheel Drive Company in Carbondale, Colorado, in 1921 , a firm he sold a firm he sold out the year following to lead and zinc mining magnate Coleman. Coleman Motors Corporation began producing four-wheel-drive trucks in Littleton about 1925. Holmes seems to have been kept on in the Coleman organization in an ex officio capacity, being given such assignments as the design of race cars, assignments as the design of race cars, first for first for Coleman's son to take to Pikes Peak, then for the famous Unser family, Pikes Peak, then for the famous Unser family, even for the Indy 500 in 1930 - 1931 Indy 500. The idea behind the Coleman passenger car was probably Holmes', though Coleman was congenially willing to fund the project because some patentable because some patentable engineering features might result that would provide tidy royalties, Although in 1933 the company announced plans for marketing of the Coleman, for marketing of the Coleman, with a $995 price tag, this never in fact happened — and probably was only briefly considered. Total Coleman production was five cars; all of them utilizing Ford components but offering a good many interesting, if sometimes bizarre, Holmes' ideas. The first two vehicles were front-wheel-drive, the last three rear-drive but with a front axle that arched formidably into a huge U over the engine this to effect a low center of gravity, though some problems in road-going must have been effected as well. Overall height and width were the same 58 inches, ground clearance was a mere eight. Front and rear fenders formed a continuous line with the deeply flanged runningboards to allow sufficient reinforcement for the perimeter-type frame, which presaged somewhat the "stepdown" idea of the postwar Hudson. Unconventional, too, was the Coleman's body styling. Although perhaps it could not be called unrelievedly ugly, neither could it be called handsome.
"http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=4121.0"
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/PrintTopic22610.aspx

That's Tom Farney, Chief Inspector for Coleman, at the front left checking one of the big GM double cabs. (The earlier 1949 run had used Ford double cabs). My understanding is the GM cabs had been ordered through Burt Chevrolet in Englewood (by coincidence where Dad worked before coming to Coleman in 1950), and they began arriving in such huge numbers, Coleman had to rent some local pastures for storage until they could be used by the extremely busy assembly lines – (495) units in that 1951 order alone.
You raise a very interesting possibility. I do know that “Col.” (Arthur William Sidney Herrington 1891-1970) oversaw field tests of a Coleman truck on 9 Feb 1925, and then again in comparative evaluations against FWD and the Militor on 1 Apr 1925, both at Aberdeen Proving Grounds , while in his various roles at Camp Holabird, Baltimore, MD. •At various times, he is described as "Chief Engineer of the Engineering Section; Consulting Engineer for the Motor Transport Division of the US Army Quartermaster Corps; Chief Engineer of the Motor Transport Division of the US War Department; and as Director Engineering & Development (1921-1928). •Perhaps the most accurate title that he used himself when writing up the official report on the 1 Apr 1925 comparative tests at Aberdeen Proving Ground was "Consulting Engineer for the Motor Transport Division of the US Army Quartermaster Corps." I take this to mean that he appears to have been a "consultant," or at the very least, loaned from one military branch to the other. •On a side note, the title "Colonel" was purely honorific, Art had only risen to the rank of Captain during WW-1, and then Major in the Army Reserve. Regardless, Art Herrington was so very impressed with the Coleman test results, he then made fairly frequent visits to Coleman Motors in Littleton, Colorado to consult with Harleigh R. Holmes, inventor and patent-holder of the "Holmes Drive System" (aka "Holmes Front Drive"), the proprietary 4x4 axle of a Coleman truck. I had understood this relationship to become more formalized by 1926, and we know for certain that by early 1928, Art Herrington was the General Manager of the Coleman Motors Corporation "Eastern Branch" located at 314-316 Eye Street, NE, Washington, DC, and I actually have a "letterhead" piece of correspondence with the US Army Air Corps signed "Coleman Motors Corporation, A. W. Herrington, General Manager," dated 2 Feb 1928, with the above Washington DC address at the top.
The ubiquitous Coleman "C-25" light cargo truck; troop transport, light (TTL), and light semi-tractor (introduced in 1925) even became nicknamed the "Herrington Models," due to Art’s very strong influence in adjusting the Coleman truck product line to directly satisfy emerging military requirements from 1925 through about 1930.
Yes, Art Herrington did later patent his own 4x4 axle on May 15 1930, as you correctly note, and he then moved on in 1931 to enter into a partnership with car-makers Walter Marmon (1872-1940) and brother Howard Carpenter Marmon (1876-1943) to co-found the (re-organized) Marmon-Herrington Company (MH), also then entering the 4x4 axle and differential business, as well as specializing in both the military and heavy commercial truck-building markets.
However, Jeff, you do raise an excellent point. As Art Herrington had done in his various civilian engineer roles with Camp Holabird, et al, perhaps he did not enter into an "exclusive" relationship after all with Coleman as general manager of their Washington, DC branch – Perhaps he considered himself more of a consultant, and actually consulted for other commercial or military organizations as the very same time. Regardless, he was absolutely a key figure at Coleman and had a simply huge influence their emerging truck design considerations during the 1925-1930 time frame.
Your comment that he consulted with the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps from at least 1928-31 helping to design the "standardized" QMC trucks built at Fort Holabird from 1928-32 certainly suggests he kept multiple hats on his hat rack at the very same time. This obviously overlaps with his fully documented tenure as General Manager of the Coleman Motors Corporation "Eastern Branch" from at least 1928 through about 1930. Looks like Art was "burning the candle from both ends," working for Coleman, while also directly helping QMC design the "standardized" military trucks that would ultimately beat out Coleman in the 1930s for virtually all future Army truck orders until 1941 with the coming of the initial orders for the G-55A "Quick-Way" Crane. .
Thank you Jeff -- as with any good researcher, I always truly welcome comments or new information that makes me go back and totally rethink, recheck, confirm, or adjust my research. We are all just trying to get this right...
May I ask your source on the QMC consulting from 1928-1932? I would like to deep-dive on that a little more to gain an even better understanding of Art Herrington and the "many lives" he apparently lead, often all at the same time!

33gruzovika
littleton
http://slovari.yandex.ru/dict/milauto
http://www.rh2.ru/Avtozavody_i_marki_gruzovikov/p2_articleid/323
http://www.desertclassics.com/Chev56tow.html
http://www.littletongov.org/history/othertopics/coleman.asp
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/American_Coleman_v.jpg
http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/details.cfm?ProductID=5&pid=11
http://heavytruck.narod.ru/Coleman/Coleman.htm
http://www.littletongov.org/history/othertopics/coleman.asp
http://www.dog-walker.us/4x4/4x4-204.htm
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/756605
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=35005.20
American Coleman Truck
Photographed at the USA World Classics Event Center, Vallejo, CA.
http://army.billibons.com/?p=252
http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_truckcrane_ww2_g55a.php
http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/PrintTopic37299.aspx
http://www.truckerlinks.dk/dansk/truckbyggere.htm
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28116&stc=1&d=1285514326
jalopyjournal.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/995574-big-truck-envy-chucks-f-7-coleman-4.html
http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/oldmark61/Trucks/?start=all
http://www.yesterdaystruck.com/cgi-bin/trphoto_pic.cgi?pic=http%3B//www.yesterdaystruck.com/trphotos/a3661.jpg&firstrec=76&lastrec=90&Parameter=&w=trphotos
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/mark_simiele.htm
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/995574-big-truck-envy-chucks-f-7-coleman.html
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/995574-big-truck-envy-chucks-f-7-coleman.html
автолюди
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/995574-big-truck-envy-chucks-f-7-coleman-3.html
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1950-1959-ford-trucks10.htm
http://www.4x4books.com/cl4x4.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_truck_manufacturers
http://oldsnowplowequipment.wetpaint.com/page/Marmon+Herrington%2FHowe-Coleman+4WD+Conversion+Trucks
http://oldsnowplowequipment.wetpaint.com/page/Howe-Coleman+4WD+Conversions
http://www.fourwheeler.com/departments/legacy/129_9804_april_1998_rare_rigs/index.html
http://www.boincfun.tk/dodge-4x4-plow-truck.html/dodge-4x4-plow-truck-11740
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/four-wheel-drive/
http://www.howetruckandtrailer.com/
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/05/24/show-dont-tell-harleigh-holmess-coleman/
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Offroad-Adventures-Magazine/Jan09_final/2009010201/66.html#66
//www.militarytrader.com/military-vehicles-news/ditching-machines-i-have-known
Coleman Motor Company
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/PrintTopic22610.aspx !!!!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buda_Engine_Co.
http://www.google.com/patents/US3380748
http://littletonindependent.net/stories/Truck-comes-home-to-Littleton,15220
http://members.tripod.com/mr_sedivy/littleton8.html
Video
http://www.militarytrader.com/military-vehicles-news/heavy_hookers_trucks_with_hoist
https://www.flickr.com/photos/scammell_amazon/8990997621/in/pool-1623704@N25/
Marmon Herrington and Howe Coleman Conversions
Another less known company that built 4x4 conversions was Coleman. I know of some large International trucks that were equipped this way. If you look closely, the spindle stays stationary while the wheel pivots around it. It was the weirdest thing I had ever seen, and I still do not completely understand how it works without seeing a drawing or tearing it apart.

Внедорожные траспортные средства
(Land Locomotion – Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM)
Cайт информационный, некоммерческий.
(На странице "commerc" размещены ссылки на отечественные коммерческие сайты)
Home