Chrysler Corporation was created in 1925 .
General Motors, Ford Motor Company, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US are often referred to as the "Big Three" , being the largest automakers in the United States. They were for a while the largest in the world and two of them are still a mainstay in the top five. The Big Three are also distinguished not just by their size and geography, but also by their business model. All three have their headquarters in the Detroit area. The majority of their operations are unionized with the United Auto Workers and Canadian Auto Workers.
Why are all major auto manufacturers headquartered in or near Detroit?
Because Henry Ford lived there. Detroit and its environs had a lot to offer the nascent auto industry around the turn of the 20th century. Iron ore was available from the Mesabi Range in Minnesota, and there was ample timber in Michigan itself. (Early car frames were made of wood.) Rail and water routes made it easy to ship cars to Chicago and New York. And Detroit already hosted heavy industry like machine shops and stove works. Toledo, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Buffalo could have made similar claims, yet none of them became Motown. Detroits eventual dominance probably had more to do with a couple of historical accidents than any geographic advantage. First, innovators like Henry Ford and Ransom Olds happened to live in Michigan. Second, automotive executives in early-20th-century Detroit behaved a lot like Silicon Valley executives today: They regularly switched companies and launched spinoffs and startups. This culture of cross-pollination spread innovative manufacturing and design ideas among the Detroit manufacturers. Distant competitors couldnt keep up with Motowns research and development operations and eventually failed or sold themselves to Detroit.
There was no indication that Detroit would come to dominate car making in the industrys early years. According to economist Steven Klepper of Carnegie Mellon University, none of the 69 companies that entered the auto industry (PDF) between 1895 and 1900 was located in Detroit. Olds Motor Works became the citys first major carmaker when it relocated from Lansing in 1900. Ransom Olds then made a decision that would shape the course of the industryrather than creating hundreds of small components in-house for his Curved Dash Runabout, he subcontracted much of the work to companies in Detroits flourishing manufacturing sector. The people who built the cars parts eventually learned so much about automotive manufacturing that they went on to launch their own brands. Olds subcontractors included the Briscoe brothers, who helped build Buick, and machinist Henry Leland , who created Cadillac and Lincoln. The Dodge brothers also cut their teeth making parts for both Olds and Henry Ford. Ransom Olds, himself, eventually left Olds Motor Works to found the REO car company. A few other executives from Olds founded Chalmers and Hudson. William Durant, the man behind General Motors , was twice forced out of the company, forming Chevrolet and later Durant Motors while he was away. All of these ventures were based in or near Detroit.
The number of U.S. carmakers peaked at 272 in 1909, including major manufacturers in New England and Ohio. During the 1910s, however, the Detroit brands pulled away. In 1915, 13 out of the countrys 15 most popular car brands were in Detroit. Motor City executives, particularly Ford, invested heavily in research and development, distancing their products from the out-of-towners.
The industry further agglomeratedan economics term for the consolidation of an industry in one geographic areain Detroit, and parts suppliers and skilled laborers followed the largest manufacturers to Motown, making it harder for companies in other regions to compete. Many of the largest remaining non-Detroit carmakers, including Nash (Kenosha, Wis.), combined with Detroit-based brands in the 1950s to form American Motors.* George Romney, father of the GOP presidential candidate, eventually helmed the company, which was bought by Chrysler in 1987.
Detroit Arsenal (DTA) , formerly Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant (DATP) was the first manufacturing plant ever built for the mass production of tanks in the United States. Established in 1940 under Chrysler, this plant was owned by the U.S. government until 1996. It was designed by architect Albert Kahn. The building was designed originally as a "dual production facility, so that it could make armaments and be turned into peaceful production at war's end. Notwithstanding its name, the 113-acre (0.46 km2) site was located in Warren, Michigan, Detroit's largest suburb.
The United States Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command (LCMC), formerly known as Tank-automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), headquartered at the Detroit Arsenal in Warren, Michigan, is part of the United States Army Materiel Command (AMC). It generates, provides, and sustains mobility, lethality, and survivability for soldiers, other branches of the U.S. armed forces, and allies, to ensure Army readiness. TACOM's military and civilian employees find and implement technology and logistics solutions for the soldier. From tank-automotive and armaments weapons systems research and development, through procurement and fielding, to sustainment and retirement, TACOM's employees provide "cradle-to-grave" support to America's armed forces.

Chrysler Corporation was working on from the 1930s into the 1960s were equally cutting edge, even if many of them never saw the light of day.
The Dodge family of light trucks had been a vital component in WWII, but changes in the battlefield and automotive technology had put them behind the current and projected technology curve. Chrysler began work on a replacement for the WWII W-series trucks in July of 1944, by most published reports, with a rig called the T233. The T number was Chrysler Trucks internal nomenclature system, and because it was a military development, it was also given a GI T experimental number, in this case T-47. The goal of the project was a modular truck that could be quickly reconfigured for different roles. In just a few minutes it could transition from a 3/4-ton cargo truck to a four-seat command and reconnaissance vehicle. Presumably other presto-chango roles were envisioned and the chassis was largely the same as what had been used for the W-Series Dodges for the war.
The next development was the T53 (Chrysler T237), which started in 1947. Three were built by 1949 and tested at the Aberdeen Proving Ground, doing extremely well.
As the T53 was being tested, another major adaptation was developed called the T53E1.
Like the T53, the T53E1 performed well and proved durable but cheap, it was not. Ultimately, it was found that a lesser rig like the M37 could do 80 percent of what the T53 was capable of and cost half as much. As a result, the T53 projects were discontinued, though many of the developments went on to be featured in other rigs. We all know torsion bar suspension played a big part in Chrysler cars for many years. The independent suspension was recycled to a degree in the 1970s when Chrysler competed for a contract in the development of another new military vehicle type, the HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle).
(Land Locomotion Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home