Brockway Motor Company was a builder of custom heavy-duty trucks in Cortland, New York from 1912 to 1977. It was founded as Brockway Carriage Works in 1875 by William Brockway .
His son George Brockway later turned the carriages into a truck manufacturer in 1909.
With the opening of hostilities, the Army contracted Brockway to produce the C-666, a 211/42-ton 6x6 that was utilized by the Army Corps of Engineers to haul supplies and pontoons for the construction of temporary combat bridges.
Other versions were built, including aircraft fire trucks, mobile crane platforms, and of course, conventional transports.
The company introduced its new 260 tractor to the civilian market, and the Korean conflict required more Brockway military units to be produced.
The company was purchased by Mack Trucks Inc. in August 1956 and remained a division of Mack until its closing in June 1977.

When the United States entered World War I in 1917, Brockway became a full-time builder of trucks for the U.S. military. Class B Liberty trucks for the Army totaled 587, and there were a number of fire trucks built as well. At war's end in 1918, Brockway claimed to be exporting trucks to 65 countries.
In late 1927 Brockway entered into merger/purchase negotiations with Marion, Indiana's Indiana Truck Corp., a similar firm that had a dedicated mid-west clientel. Indiana's sales outlets would help expand Brockway's share of the truck market. Like Brockway, Indiana produced medium and heavy duty trucks assembled using high-quality components sourced from third parties.
With the sudden outbreak of War, Brockway converted its plant over to the production of war materiel, specifically the Model B666 (B for Brockway), 6-ton, 6x6 truck chassis, which was based on the Corbitt Model 50SD6's originally manufactured by Henderson, North Carolina's Corbitt Company.
Although Corbitt had developed the rugged 6x6 , they lacked the production capacity to construct the vast numbers required (10,000 in all), and the Government split the contract among five manufacturers; Brockway, Corbitt. F.W.D., Ward-LaFrance and the White Motor Co.
Variants of the 50SD6/B666 included gasoline tankers, shop vans, communications vans, cargo trucks, fire-crash tenders (F-666), revolving crane carriers (C-666) and specialized self-contained chassis (B-666) for hydraulic bridge erecting cranes (G-547), with Brockway concentrating on the chassis of the latter four models.
From 1939-1945 Corbitt designed and built 50SD6 6-ton, 6x6 prime movers for the US Army . These trucks were equipped with either the 779 or the 855 cubic-inch Hercules 6-cylinder gasoline engine. They were used in every theater of operation during World War II. Corbitt lacked production capacity for all the trucks needed, so White, Brockway, Ward LaFrance, and FWD all built the same or very similar trucks.
¬недорожные траспортные средства (Land Locomotion Ц Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home