was started in early 1954.
This firm was originally based at Bilston in Wolverhampton England but later moved down to larger premises at Camberley in Surrey and became more commonly known by the initials AWD.
They were founded by A. J. F. Andrews a mechanical enginneer who was formerly working for Gardner, the engine specialists.
Later he moved to Cheshire Engineering.
The AWD company was manufacturing and offering goods vehicles and other standard trucks all converted to all wheel drive for special roles such as
and many other makes.
Also AWD produced special rugged chassis with offroad 4WD, 6WD and 8WD axles and transmissions for several British domestic manufacturers of loaders, mobilecranes and dumptrucks.
This company worked from a large warehouse in central Camberley where goods vehicles and other selected road machines were converted or rebuilt for useful go-anywhere driving but retained their running gears and AWD Co Ltd accepted orders and contract deals from numerous other British manufacturers and most of AWD vehicles manufactured were crane carriers and dumptrucks of many sizes for some UK crane specialists and occasional lorry manufacturers, earth movers and farm tractors were also rebuilt or converted with special AWD heavy duty go-anywhere axles one of their services and specialities with great success to AWD, they later became more popular under the new name of VICKERS-AWDa cranecarrier manufacturer from Wiltshire after AWD LTD merged with them changing its tradename to become known as VICKERS-AWD until the 1970s.
Seddon: Vickers AWD modified rigid 4x4 and 6x6 trucks VS19